Anyone experiencing sale decline after the holidays? and some thoughts..

I have a shop with 140 products.

before Chrismas sale peaked like every year with 30+ items sold everyday. I went to a 11 days holiday after the final despatch on the 27th. I had not had any holiday after 16 months since the store opened.

I put up a banner (top of  every listing)showing store closure for holiday, but buyers still purchased my items. When i came back I sent out all items in one day with free gifts and note to remind the delay is caused by store holiday.

Since the 7th of January I only have less than 10 orders each day and my best sellers are not selling at all.. it's pathetic. in the past year I never had a day with single digit order figure. I can't pay all the bills with this volume.. 

some causes I can think of

1. I lost my TRS on the 22nd of DEC (but still 100% positive)

2. People tend to save money after the holidays ?

3. My search position dropped because less purchases were made to those items during my holiday. 

I am quite depressed honesly. The holiday was wonderful and rewarding I learnt a lot from it. But the reality made me thinking I really need someone to help the shop in order to maintain a constant good performance, because that's what eBay wants - fast selling, timely delivery and no downtime. 

the problem is, I can't afford to hire anyone, the margin is quite low with all the competition, fees and tax. I am really just paying my own labour for listing, answering question and packing. 

Any of you are experiencing the same decline in sale or it's just me?

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Anyone experiencing sale decline after the holidays? and some thoughts..

Yes...

We have 2x stores and up until mid Dec we were sending out 25-35 packages per day total. Peaked at 40.

Then it dropped back to 5-10 perhaps.

One store is recovering back to 12-15 per day now.

The other has been lucky to get 1 sale per day.

So we are still down about 50% on the lead-up to Xmas.

Just the time of year I'd say. Should pick up again over the next couple of months. We factor in slow times into our business model so that the good times are a bonus.

But I'm sure the nuances of the ebay Best Match (BM) search algorithm has a lot to do with your sales too. Depending on what category you sell in.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply