Aust post lost the click and send parcel I sent. What should I do now?

bm5678
Community Member

I recently posted an item using click and send and it has gone missing

Aust post have investigated and say it is lost and are refunding the postage fee but wont refund the buyer the value as I didn't pay for insurance

It was paid via paypal

Now the items value is only $10 so I am not overly worried about refunding it but would like to know what correct process should be - particularly if I have the situation again

What does paypal seller insurance cover. If the buyer starts a dispute would they get paid a full refund by paypal or does paypal say item was sent so they have to claim it with Aust post?

How does it all work. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to risk bad feedback over $10 so I would refund it if it comes down to that but also feel that I did everyhing correctly so why should I be unpaid for an item sent. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

your.favourite.store
Community Member

Hey there,

That's unfortunate. You should ask Australia Post for a proof of shipping document that shows that you sent the item, and where you sent it. As it is click and send, they would have an electronic copy of it. They may not give this to you, but this will come in handy for any PayPal claims that are made against your account.

While this is being sent to you, you should call eBay accounts team via telephone and tell them what happaned. You should state the facts of the case, tell them what has happaned and ask if eBay will cover the buyer, and what are the steps you need to take. 

The advantage of calling them is that you may want to word it in a way that gets pre-approval from the account manager that you will be taken care of. You can ask them to put notes against your account. 

Keep in mind that if you are a regular seller, then you would want to weigh the costs of annoying a customer, over retrieving the $10. It may be handy for you to know the process though, so give it a go! This is how we do it and it gives us the peace of mind, the right information, and eBay is good in keeping their word 🙂

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for your help - I will give them a call tomorrow and see how I go

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

it is nothing to do with eBay. Buyer and seller protection is provided by Paypal.

I would be going back to Australia Post on this and asking them for a refund of value. They contract to deliver your goods, so a refund of postage is not good enough. Plus Click and Send gives you cover (discretionary) up to $50 I believe. Remind AP of this and ask them to exercise some discretion. If they won't, tell them you will take the matter to the PIO. If they still won't, take the matter to the PIO. If they do, refund the buyer promptly.

As far as seller protection goes, you are covered as you have proof of postage to the nominated address. There should be no requirement to ask C&S for this as you will have undoubtedly saved a copy of the address label, as well as the lodgement receipt. 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

That's great to know Dave.

We use C&S quite often and I always lodge over the counter and get the lodgement receipt. And I always keep the C&S electronic data from the transaction just in case.

I had thought that the seller would be covered for the cost of the lost goods as well as the lost postage.

But who exactly should lodge a claim in this case? The seller or the buyer?

My take would be that I would quickly refund the buyer (or replace their item) so they are happy firstly, then lodge a claim myself against either Australia Post or PayPal (or both even) so that I am not out of pocket, having done what I thought was all the right things. I'm sure it would take some eon's to process the claim and I don't want my buyer waiting around for this to happen.

I understood you had discretionary cover of up to $100 on a C&S item and that any extra cover you purhased was for any amount above that first $100. I will stand corrected on that by a better authority tho.

So we never buy "extra" cover. And even the word "extra" implies that there is some sort of basic cover built in.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

That's great to know Dave.

We use C&S quite often and I always lodge over the counter and get the lodgement receipt. And I always keep the C&S electronic data from the transaction just in case.

I had thought that the seller would be covered for the cost of the lost goods as well as the lost postage.

But who exactly should lodge a claim in this case? The seller or the buyer?

My take would be that I would quickly refund the buyer (or replace their item) so they are happy firstly, then lodge a claim myself against either Australia Post or PayPal (or both even) so that I am not out of pocket, having done what I thought was all the right things. I'm sure it would take some eon's to process the claim and I don't want my buyer waiting around for this to happen.

I understood you had discretionary cover of up to $100 on a C&S item and that any extra cover you purhased was for any amount above that first $100. I will stand corrected on that by a better authority tho.

So we never buy "extra" cover. And even the word "extra" implies that there is some sort of basic cover built in.

The seller should lodge the claim as AP generally won't deal with recipients unless the item is damaged. If you refund then there is no recourse to Paypal.

I believe it is $100 with SOD, which you must have to get extra cover. So with SOD, $100, without, $50 discretionary. I believe.

Congrats on your new star.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Aust Post advised they will refund the postage but when I asked about the items value they have replied saying no as I didn't pay extra for insurance.

Does paypal cover the buyer in anyway at all??

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Unfortunately no, the buyer is up the creek if the seller has proof of postage, unless they funded their paypal payment with a credit or Visa debit card.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

bummer

Thanks for everyones help. It just seems wrong that Aust post admit to loosing it but unless you paid extra for insurance then tough luck.

I will refund the buyer as it's not there fault and think that is the right thing to do. At least now I know how it all works (or doesn't work)

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

If the AP site does not show delivery and the seller can prove postage then paypal will often do discretionary refunds for the buyer from their own money and the seller keeps theirs so YES paypal do refund the buyers.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply