Australia Post Impact On Sellers another Truck Up In Flames

queenslander-one
Community Member

Extract from SMH this morning.

Hope No Ebay Sellers had any items on it that will now be under MBG or Not delivered INR.

A truck carrying letters on behalf of Australia Post has caught fire on the Hume Highway sending traffic into chaos on one of the key thoroughfares between Sydney and Melbourne for over two hours.

It took at least four Rural Fire Service trucks to extinguish the blaze which resulted in a large amount of letters being destroyed that were on their way from Sydney to Melbourne.

"Postal letters were sprawled out across the highway," said Declan McCarthy who had to wait over two hours to pass through the fire scene.

An Australia Post spokeswoman said that the company was currently working through the information to advise customers of the impact. The truck is owned by a third-party contractor.

"Fortunately and most importantly, no one was injured in the incident," she said in a statement.

The fire started after the truck appeared to crash into an embankment on the highway just south of Gundagai in south-west NSW.

It took fire crews almost two hours to get the blaze under control. The driver escaped before the truck was completely engulfed in flames.

By 5pm on Saturday the shell of the truck was still emitting smoke and a fuel leakage had kept the south-bound lane of the Hume Highway closed.

HAZMAT teams have been called in to clear the fuel off the road, a RFSNSW spokesman said.

Drivers are being told to expect delays.

"We expect that lane to remain closed for the next few hours," the spokesman said.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Good the driver escaped and no one else was injured.

Can't they find  contractors with more reliable trucks to deliver the mail though?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

With Australia Post I guess NOT the Cheaper the Better

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Has anyone said what caused the fire?   How do you know that it was the truck at fault....it could have been something that was in the mail in the back of the truck.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@queenslander wrote:

With Australia Post I guess NOT the Cheaper the Better

Australia Post contractors have to have vehicles that meet specific criteria one of which is that it must be under 5 years old and in good order and condition.   They cannot use just any old vehicle.  None of the acceptable vehicles is cheap.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Shame so many go up in flames. Adelaide to Perth are the worst. Number of reports about them.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Has anyone said what caused the fire?   How do you know that it was the truck at fault....it could have been something that was in the mail in the back of the truck.

According to the report, the fire appeared to be the result of the accident itself.

quote: "The fire started after the truck appeared to crash into an embankment on the highway just south of Gundagai in south-west NSW."

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

According to the report, the fire appeared to be the result of the accident itself.

quote: "The fire started after the truck appeared to crash into an embankment on the highway just south of Gundagai in south-west NSW."

Thanks CQ...so it appears that the truck did not spontaneously combust.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

How would you know if/not there was anything of yours on that truck.
Even if you got an INR request from a buyer in the Melbourne area.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I service vehicles for Roadrunner transport who cart mail on the mid north coast and between Sydney and Brisbane

Their most modern vehicle is a 2005 Mercedes Atego 1820

Their oldest vehicle is a UD CWA45 .......everybody would know the shape of these trucks........ Noah drove one onto the Ark

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply