Australia Post Local Parcel Pricing Anomaly

Has any one else noticed this.

According to AP for local parcels from 500g to 22kg a flat rate of $8.95 within a 50km radius applies and this is irrespective of zones (same rate applies within the same zone as well).

This comes from their new "parcels-easyguide-zone-Q1-apr2013.pdf" ( I'm in Brisbane ) but I think this will apply Australia wide.

Ok ... so:

I posted a 750g parcel and was charged $9.85 even though the location was only 15km away.

Staff at the PO informed me it was because the parcel was crossing into another zone !???

Just as well it wasn't 22kg as the price would have been $28.75 instead of the indicated $8.95.

I'd already quoted the buyer postage so just had to wear it which wasn't a huge problem as only 90c.

The online calculator on AP website returns the same price as the local PO if I'd have thought to check it.

The only reason I used the pdf was that I'd been working out new pricing structures after the price rise and didn't think they'd tell me lies!

I've since had a word with the local postmaster and he agrees there's a problem.

We both have inquiries lodged with AP and I'll post any replies here.

Be careful out there guys!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I don't have the new post charges book yet....but it has always (in the past) been 50km radius from the GPO....not from where you post it....in order to get the flat rate

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I queried the same thing at my post office a while ago, the woman I asked had no real idea so she gave me a nonsensical reply instead ๐Ÿ˜ It was easier to pay the little bit more than ask too many questions.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I don't have the new post charges book yet....but it has always (in the past) been 50km radius from the GPO....not from where you post it....in order to get the flat rate

yes, and I think it is safe to assume that is how it is now ๐Ÿ™‚

That is because the 50km radius is one delivery zone, with local sorting centres.  Once it has to go to another zone it costs extra.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Actually the 50km radius provision is now revised according to the AP document:

"Where lodged for delivery from a place not more than 50 km (radial distance) from the Australia Post retail outlet of lodgement irrespective of zone." (sic)

This is copied verbatim from the pdf.

Bad english admittedly but I would read the meaning as "to a place" rather than "from a place" as the qualification statement then goes on to specifically mention the "outlet of lodgement".

There is no reference to GPO here at all.

I'll be very interested in hearing what AP has to say next week.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

My understanding has always been that the 50km local parcel zone is a special rate for customers in country areas who are sending parcels within a 50km zone from the point of lodgement.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

According to the new charges booklet pg 16, 
 "Parcels lodged at an office within 50km of the delivery office attract a fixed price"
(Over 500g $8.95)

Barrie

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Country parcels must be lodged at the same office that will deliver it, and only apply to certain postcodes.

Barrie

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

It is a flat rate within the same Zone, that has always been the case. ie: if you're in Q1 and you send to someone also in Q1 then it's the flat rate no matter how big your parcel is. But if the recipient is in zone Q2, even if it's only 10kms from you then you go into the higher rates.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I would suggest that wherever you are you download your own relevant easy parcel guide.

Mine was here:

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/parcels-easyguide-zone-Q1-apr2013.pdf

It seems to me that there are 2 possible options here:

1. they made a mistake compiling the pdf

2. they are changing the way they charge for local parcels but have not updated their POS system.

I see Barrie has found the same info in another document though so I'm thinking number 2.

The pricing change sort of makes sense as they are starting up their courier post operation and 50km radius sounds about right for that sort of service.

It makes a bit of a difference to me here in Bris because I am South of the city and Brisbane zone boundaries are very strange.

Q1 is from caloundra to the gold coast but Ipswich, which is closer than both is in Q2.

I expect AP will get to me early next week so I'll post their reply here.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply