Australian law prohibits the importation of insects whole or parts.

It is Highly illegal and results in significant fines, for anyone who imports insects dead or alive, whole or in part (unless insect is not identifiable ie processed into a good). Ebay is allowing Chinese stores to market Mealworms and these will not only be stopped at Customs but the customers fined. My next email is to Australian Customs to inform them of the fact Ebay is encouraging customers to break the law by alowing this and not making (from China) clearly identifiable nor letting customers know it is illegal. We have meal worm farmers everywhere in Australia and do not need to import. This is how we get new diseases. 

Please rectify this and please notify me when it is done. 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Please let people here (who are all simply members like yourself) know what you would like us to do to 'rectify' what eBay allows?

I would be very interested as to what response eBay give, once you contact tem

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

eBay don't read here.

And eBay don't vet millions of listings but eBay relies on members to use the site within it's rules.

Each listing has report link, I suggest you report some of the sellers to eBay.

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Caveat emptor.

It is always the responsibility of buyers to know the importation laws for their own country. Many sellers sell to many countries, all with their own quarantine laws.

For those Australian buyers who get their items stopped at Customs, I certainly hope they get fined as well. It might stop them trying to save a buck by wrecking the country's biosystem. I don't hold out much hope, though.

I hope this is a cogent enough response for you, even though it's not from eBay (who don't and can't vet millions of listings, and don't read or respond to board posts). Otherwise, good luck with Customs. And we expect notification when it is done.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply