BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

Should I supply Bank details

Hi forum members ...long  time buyer and some selling .....first shot at the forum... Propably a dumb question but a few hours ago I had

an offer on a custom Harley part  ( I live in QLD so riding such conveyances is  frowned upon now .. so offloading some bits ) ....just

listed it   (yesterday afternoon  )  99c starting , $20 BIN....so no big bucks  involved....a punter offered $15 and said would pay i

mmediately into my bank acount ...I said ok if you want it I will

revise BIN to $15...no biggie for me...but payment to be by Paypal as stipulated in the auction . THIS member had close to 3000

transactions , buying and selling with 100%positive F/B.

The person who hit the BIN has a DIFFERENT user name with only 4 transactions  ...ok so maybe someone else jumped in and hit

the  BIN  before the original punter or he has a number of  different IDs.....however  I assume it's the original  punter because

he says  "

" I have a problem with Pay pal " ....need your Bank details.

Here's where it gets a bit odd....the ID with 4 FB has 4 green dots for the only   4 transactions he has ,  ALL from  the punter

who made the original request . The 4 FB guy has not been active for 3 years and one of the 4 purchases was "a brown patterned

tissue box ".... a Harley guy for sure !

Is there an obvious and innocent explanation for all this.....am I missing something !... should I just send off my Bank details?

The 2 messages both came through the E/B  site.

Any observations would be appreciated if you have a minute...thanks in advance. Chief.

He has bought it

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Husband and wife maybe?

I would not lose any sleep over it.  If it was big bucks, being paid by paypal I might try to figure it out but if he is happy to pay by bank deposit it is completely safe for you as he can not open a dispute and you can not get a bank chargeback down the track.

Just give him your bank details.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

"I would not lose any sleep over it.  If it was big bucks, being paid by paypal I might try to figure it out but if he is happy to pay by bank deposit it is completely safe for you as he can not open a dispute and you can not get a bank chargeback down the track.

Just give him your bank details"

So completely safe for a seller to receive bank deposit payments. thanks Lyndal1838

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

Hi, don't understand how it can be said a dispute cannot be opened. If paid through PayPal a dispute of item not received, not as described etc goes through them (PayPal). A buyer can also open a dispute through eBay for an item not received, not as described etc - having paid through Bank Deposit - & - give feedback accordingly. eBay will ultimately find for the buyer unless the seller can provide - and they cannot make up their mind - from experience - whether it be 'proof of postage' or 'proof of delivery'.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

If a buyer is looking to get an item with the express intention of claiming their money back fraudulently, bank deposit is one of the worst options to choose, and I think that's what's being referred to re: disputes.

An eBay dispute will not get the buyer their money back, negative feedback will not get their money back - at best, they might provide some encouragement and/or incentive for a seller to comply with a refund request (presuming the seller knows the claims are fraudulent). So, when a buyer says they would prefer to pay by bank deposit, they are giving up third party protection, which in turn makes it much less likely (though certainly not impossible) that they will attempt to regain their money fraudulently. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

Yes Helen, a buyer can open a dispute in ebay but ebay does not take the money from the seller and give it back to the buyer as paypal does.

The buyer also cannot do a chargeback when they have done a bank deposit.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

Bank deposit is safer for sellers than paypal and also cheaper and faster.

If he deposits today the cash will be in your bank in the morning whereas paypal will take two or three days to clear in your hand.

There are no fees to receive by bank deposit whereas paypal costs 2.4 or 3.4 % plus thirty cents a transaction.

A chargeback costs money and takes longer than a paypal dispute and also requires more actual evidence.

It could be that the buyer wants to get some feedback up to ten items so they can start selling on a second account.

It is also possible that Paypal have been giving grief on an account as several people I know have trouble with paypal.

you may like to look at the site paypalsucks and see just how many people have problems.

For a buyer to prefer bank deposit means that it is highly likely that paypal is a problem. I would tend to believe the buyer and go with it.

It also saves you some fees on here.

Win Win

And by the way big boys do cry sometimes. Or maybe he wraps his Harley in tissue paper LOL!!!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

Hi  again...thanks  everyone for the replies...appreciated and will proceed as you advised and will be all the wiser in future. I'm thinking ,as lyndal  surmised,  probably partners...

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply