BUYER'S INCOMPLETE ADDRESSING

Smiley Frustrated How do you deal with Buyers who do not put correct addresses in their eBay info for invoicing?

After instigating the right action myself, by checking AP's tracking info because I thought the item should have arrived, and then phoning AP to check that, I find the address for the Buyer (which looked complete to me) was in fact not complete .. having Sydney & not a suburb, but a postcode. I live in rural NSW & my address/postcode crystal ball wasn't working ..

At the time of phoning AP, I find the parcel in the process of being returned & due back next week.

So, I contacted the Buyer via ebay process to inform them of THEIR incomplete address info. The reply was completely written in capitals, rather like being yelled at, & contained the suburb info. stated like I was the idiot who should have known what suburb by the postcode .. a bit late, considering the Buyer's info & invoice didn't have it & still doesn't.

I'm happy to re-send same item, taking more time to check it hasn't been damaged in the process of it's 'goings & comings' & taking the time & etc etc to take it back to the PO asap, BUT asking the Buyer to repay postage as it was their fault/over-sight regarding the incomplete address. This request was met by blank refusal.

A phone call to eBay for assistance .. seems all I can do is:

1. Place a cancellation of sale, once the item returns, IF the Buyer agrees, refund the Buyer & I get Seller fees refunded.

2. Not pay the extra postage myself to repost it (cover the petrol etc etc), if the Buyer refuses & not resend it .. this gets me a 'not received item' strike against me.

Either way, I have a PLANT item I took good effort to grow, 'harvest', clean, pack securely & post, returned because of a BUYER'S ERROR.. IF I pay return post (it's a rhisome, so wouldn't have spoiled, but I'd check it anyway) the total p'ment I receive for all this will be $1.72! Hardly worth the packaging & handling I DON'T charge for!

Yes, eBay used to be a fun place .. a good outlet for those like me who do this as a hobby & to share their efforts .. seems now, it's a BUYER'S WORLD & a place for 'Chump Sellers' .. because that's what we are treated like .. 'CHUMPS'!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

When the parcel arrives back take it to your PO and ask if you can add the suburb and it can be resent no charge.

Have you looked at using eBay Postage Labels or Aus Post Click & Send? When you generate the label it will give you an error message if the suburb/town doesn't match the postcode. And you'll save money as they are cheaper to use than paying over the counter prices.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

firstly it is not up to you to check buyers info. If they pay by paypal you send only to the address exactly as it is in paypal. If it doesn't arrive to the buyer then it is up to them to pay for the return postage. if they run a claim through paypal for item not received then they will lose because the address is wrong.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Harley babes is right, its the buyer's responsbibility to enter their correct address details for their delivery (they are grownups afterall now and should be able to quote their correct address).  If the buyer fails to provide the correct address, its up to the buyer to pay for the item to be re-shipped to them.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I always do a quick check of the paid items ready to post sales records looking for address problems.

Sometimes I do pick up that the postcode and town/suburb do not match. Especially in a case like yours.

Have had one where there was a house number but the street was blank. Had to end up phoning the buyer about this one as they failed to respond to my messages.

If necessary I will contact the buyer for a correction. But mostly just correct the obvious errors myself before we print the address label.

Since we use large letter without tracking 99.9% of the time we have no seller protection anyway so it does not expose us to any additional risk to do this.

We have only ever had a single case of INR raised against us and this turned out to be a scammer. PayPal sided with us and found NO FAULT so we did not lose any money. They could not find 100% in our favour becasue we had no tracking.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

We use google if an adress does not look right, and if does not come up correct email the customer to give us the correct address, only takes a few minutes but cansave a lot of pain and expense in the end.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

If you change the address in any way, other than what's on the paypal invoice and the buyer claims item not received you will lose a paypal case.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Yep fully understand that... if you send everything tracked.

But since we use regular mail with no tracking we will never win any PayPal case anyway. Fortunately we have only ever experienced one

of these in 3-years of trading. And it was closed NO FAULT.

So better that we check/change the address where the error is obvious. And ask the buyer where we cannot resolve it.

In the case where we had a street name left out of the address if we had mailed it like that it would have been returned to us as undeliverable for sure. We ended up phoning the buyer and they gave us the street name over the phone. Then she was going to correct her PayPal account. And then thanked us profusely for chasing it down with her.

Problem solved and resulted in glowing POS FB.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I use either the ebay label printing or click & send so any address which is incorrect shows up. If it is as the OP described I add an extra line with the correct suburb between the street address and the Sydney or whatever. That way it does show the address as seen in Paypal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

having the same problem and getting sick of it. delivery information constantly missing house numbers, suburbs or last names, its even missing from the paypal payment confirmation email.

WHY ebay are you and paypal allowing people to open an account with incomplete information, full name and address should be mandatory and i thought it was obviously i was wrong...

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply