Beware this buyer

fastrod_0
Community Member

He is a scam from Nigeria

Used buy now on my auction. Sent me fake payment receipt from PayPal then hounded me to post.

Very disappointed that he has STILL not been removed from EBay

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Beware this buyer

Have you called them? It's really the only way to get anywhere with ebay or paypal, o/s call but if you want something done it's really the only way. As for your buyer, just tell them you'll ship when it clears on your end, not before, if they don't like it, you're happy to cancel the listing and they can cancel their payment since it hasn't cleared. Nigerian scams are ridiculous, I had one that tried to buy my husband's car. Showed a fake western union transfer, and wanted us to ship it o/s, LOL - didn't even have our bank info!

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

Let me guess, you sold an expensive item on a 0 feedback account and even though you thought it was dodgy, you still sent it? Unfortunately, if that's the case, there's not really anything you can do about it. You could try calling eBay, but they are unlikely to do anything about it. They can't get your item back.

The only thing you may be able to do is if you sent with tracking, sign up to My Post (it's free) and try to intercept the parcel and get it redirected either back to your place, or a trusted friend (I'm not sure you can do a return to sender redirect, but you can redirect to a different address to what's on the label).

In future, block anyone from overseas buying expensive items. If the buyer is from Nigeria, or some other country want to post to their cousin in Nigeria, don't do it. Sadly, this is probably going to be an expensive lesson for you. The scammers target low feedback sellers selling expensive items, because they are an easy target, especially when they offer you more than the price listed.

One last thing, even though it's a Nigerian scammer, you can't name and shame here. The mods will remove the buyers ID and email address. EBay don't read these forums.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

go-tazz
Community Member

@fastrod_0 wrote:

Very disappointed that he has STILL not been removed from EBay

This shows you how to deal with them,(including reporting them):

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Nigeria-is-a-scam-Fake-shipping-agent-Contact-Live-Help-/1000000001695207...

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

Looks like a hijacked account.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Looks like a hijacked account.

They generally are,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

fastrod_0
Community Member
I didn't send item. Realised pretty early. Reported straight away.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

Now that is a huge relief! I would still run virus and malware scanners though. Just to be sure. Do not click on any links in any eBay or PayPal emails. If you need to check something, go into your account and do it via a web browser.

Kudos to you for realising early. Usually we hear from new sellers because they realise after they've posted.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

fastrod_0
Community Member
Before I relist I'll take your advise and run the virus and malware scanners AND change settings to no over seas buyers. Thank you 👍
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Beware this buyer

Do you know how to set blocks? Go to your name up the top, hover over it until the dropdown appears, then click account settings. On the next page, from the menu on the left, click on site preferences. Scroll down until you see buyer requirements. Click on show, then edit. 

The 2 important ones on the next screen is blocking anyone with strikes, set to 2 or more in 12 months. The tick the box to block buyers in locations you don't post to. Have a read through the other ones and decide which one you want to enforce. The other one that you should use is blocking buyers who aren't phone verified. These settings should stop a lot of the scammers. Tick the box down the bottom of the screen to apply to current and future listings and then submit.

Then go back to the site preference and go to the one referring to postage. Click on show, then look for one that mentions posting to locations (I can't remember the exact wording and I can't access it from this account. When you get the right one, it will show a list of areas, with their sub menus being different countries. Tick all the boxes in there. You only need to tick the top box next to the region and that will tick all of them under that region. Leave the PO box blank. Click to save the settings and submit.

Last but not least, block the buyer. You can do that here. http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply