Bidder wants to send empty satchel for me to send item back in to save on postage..

quinn305
Community Member
I have had a bidder ask if they can send me an empty postage paid satchel (with tracking) to post the item to them if they win to save on postage. I've never been asked this before! I'm thinking it may be a satchel they get through a business or something. Is there any issue with this?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Bidder wants to send empty satchel for me to send item back in to save on postage..

@quinn305 wrote:
Is there any issue with this?

If seller protection via PayPal is a concern, then yes, it can be an issue. If seller protection isn't a concern, then it's not much of an issue.

If you use a satchel provided by the buyer, even though it can be a legitimate request with no nefarious intentions, it's a little more difficult to gain the appropriate documentation for proof of postage required by PayPal in the event of a claim, so if it makes you uncomfortable, I would politely decline. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

this seems to becoming more & more a common request of late.

me personaly would most likely decline to do this only due to paypal 9/10 find problems in favour for the buyer so as the seller i perfer to send tracked & signed for as to relying on just tracking.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

quinn305
Community Member
Thank you for this. My gut feeling also told me to just leave as is and politely decline so thanks for the confirmation!
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I don't sell a lot on eBay and really wasn't sure. My gut feeling was as I said but my gut feeling often overthinks things! Any other opinions are very welcome especially those with facts ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I have only ever been asked this twice and on both occassions I told them I was very sorry but I use click & send so that I have full seller protection with Paypal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

If they want to pay by bank deposit or send a money order with the satchel then why not.

I can understand why buyers want to do this as too many sellers charge more than should be for postage.

But if paying with paypal ask if they can also send a registered or signature required sticker that you can put on the satchel and you then have tracking.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I took the chance on one of these requests when I first started selling and it all went really smoothly. That buyer has now purchased from me several times with the same method over the last year I've done this with 2 more buyers in the last month and it was all fine ๐Ÿ™‚ they were actually lovely to deal with. There are always a few bad eggs though!!! If you can't take the chance on possibly losing the item, don't do it!!
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply