Big Changes to PayPal Protections Incoming

I guess this isn't going to be relevant for too much longer, at least within eBay, but my eybrows were raised significantly as I was reading through these points:

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement (Effective 31 July 2020)

To review the updated PayPal User Agreement, please click here.

We are expanding our Seller Protection Policy to include digital goods, and further clarifying the terms and conditions with respect to the coverage of intangible items under our Seller Protection Policy.

We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Policy does not cover Unauthorised Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal.

For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Policy, sellers may not receive the item back, or may be required to accept the item back and pay for the return shipping costs.

We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy.

Items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, are not eligible for reimbursement under our Buyer Protection Policy.

To be eligible for our Buyer Protection Policy, buyer must attempt to contact the seller to resolve their issue directly prior to filing a claim with PayPal.

We are also clarifying how in-person QR code transactions will be dealt with under our Buyer Protection Policy and Seller Protection Policy.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

I've only made a couple of claims through PayPal in all my time using them so am not well versed in the related policies; which of these changes are significant in your view, digi?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I guess this isn't going to be relevant for too much longer, at least within eBay, but my eybrows were raised significantly as I was reading through these points:

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement (Effective 31 July 2020)

To review the updated PayPal User Agreement, please click here.

We are expanding our Seller Protection Policy to include digital goods, and further clarifying the terms and conditions with respect to the coverage of intangible items under our Seller Protection Policy.

We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Policy does not cover Unauthorised Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal.

For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Policy, sellers may not receive the item back, or may be required to accept the item back and pay for the return shipping costs.

We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy.

Items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, are not eligible for reimbursement under our Buyer Protection Policy.

To be eligible for our Buyer Protection Policy, buyer must attempt to contact the seller to resolve their issue directly prior to filing a claim with PayPal.

We are also clarifying how in-person QR code transactions will be dealt with under our Buyer Protection Policy and Seller Protection Policy.

You won't be covered if you buy, using PayPal, to resell.......I think they're shooting themselves in the foot

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

I wouldn't say this is all to do with ebay, more so those scams going around "laptop for $20" etc but you get something else forcing you to pay return shipping

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

This can’t be such a bad thing.

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

Yes I think so too, but wonder how PayPal can have any idea whether or not an attempt to contact the seller has been made.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
Yes I think so too, but wonder how PayPal can have any idea whether or not an attempt to contact the seller has been made.

Precisely - they have always denied emails as acceptable forms of evidence since they can be so easily faked or manipulated, so how are they going to verify a he said / she said situation?

The loss of buyer protection (but not seller protection) on items intended for resale is a huge change, because they could likely make up the majority of their high value transactions, but similar issue - unless the seller is a wholesaler who only provides goods to businesses for resale, how is PayPal going to determine the buyer's intent for the goods? 

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

I used to buy cameras on another ID for re-selling on this account.

The only way PayPal would know this was if I used the same PayPal account for both buying and selling. The easy fix would be to have multiple PayPal accounts, one for buying and one for selling.

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I used to buy cameras on another ID for re-selling on this account.

The only way PayPal would know this was if I used the same PayPal account for both buying and selling. The easy fix would be to have multiple PayPal accounts, one for buying and one for selling.

Sure, as long as they have different names, addresses and IP addresses as well - this is all data that PayPal can access for each transaction, and the issue remains - with or without the possibility of being able to bypass detection in order to have acccess to protections PayPal want to withhold, and if they have a legal right to withhold, would mean they have a legal right to suspend all access to your accounts if they decide you're gaming the system - that this is a proposed system that wants to determine someone's intent for making a purchase, and using that to deny protection.

Do modifications affect the protection provided? If I buy something with the intention to fix it and then sell it, is there any protection? If not, does that mean my buyers (purchasing craft supplies to make things to sell) also have no protection? (Rhetorical questions, but there are many that should be asked and answered when such a clause is introduced). 

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

in your Opening Post it doesn’t even mention “re-sale on eBay”. So, if something is bought on eBay so it can be sold on FB then it wouldn’t be covered (?)

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply