Bogus PayPal receipt ...

FYI:

I received an email claiming to be a receipt sent from PayPal on Friday night 7/11/14 at 10.36pm.

The email had an attachment in the format of a word document. Like an idiot Woman Frustrated I opened the attachment to find details of a transaction that claimed I had purchased 200 disposable puppy toilet training mats for approximately $36+. I can't remember the exact amount.

I have made no such purchase.

I went straight to my PayPal account to see if it had been compromised but there was no such transaction registered. I immediately changed my PayPal password.

I have logged in to my PayPal account a few times since, under my new password, but still no transaction is showing for this bogus transaction.

I have emailed PayPal to report the incident.

I am still kicking myself for being stupid enough to open the **bleep** attachment Woman Surprised Woman Frustrated Woman Sad

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

Yes you should never open an attached document. They can contain harmful code or macros that can run when you open up the document and install all kinds of bad stuff on your computer. However, if you have decent and up to date anti virus software on your machine this will detect and block these kinds of things.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

There are a lot of fake PayPal emails at the moment.

The give away is in the site address, it's usually slightly different.

I add them all to my blocked list at the bottom of junk and add only the site address.

That way everything from that addy is blocked. ( @epaypal.com )

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

@ms_aussie wrote:

FYI:

I received an email claiming to be a receipt sent from PayPal on Friday night 7/11/14 at 10.36pm.

The email had an attachment in the format of a word document. Like an idiot Woman Frustrated I opened the attachment to find details of a transaction that claimed I had purchased 200 disposable puppy toilet training mats for approximately $36+. I can't remember the exact amount.

I have made no such purchase.

I went straight to my PayPal account to see if it had been compromised but there was no such transaction registered. I immediately changed my PayPal password.

I have logged in to my PayPal account a few times since, under my new password, but still no transaction is showing for this bogus transaction.

I have emailed PayPal to report the incident.

I am still kicking myself for being stupid enough to open the **bleep** attachment Woman Surprised Woman Frustrated Woman Sad

I seem to get a heap of these - daily - then nothing for a while.

Always have something like AU-Adcommerce-EOM@ebay.com - or similar.

Forward them to spoof@paypal.com

They email back sying yep it was phishing & with a polite thank you for keeping the site safe.

Don't know what they are doing about it as the above address is on most.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

If I was you, I'd be changing my paypal password.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

sueken4812 wrote

If I was you, I'd be changing my paypal password.

If you read the OP you wouldn't of had to write that
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

I would be changing all passwords for any sites that contained financial information including ebay and banking sites.

I would also run a deep security scan with system restore turned off.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

Yep. Already said I did that straight away  Woman Mad

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

You are right, Helen. The address was something like that.

PayPal sent me an email this morning thanking me for letting them know about it. But, as you have said, it happens regularly so the question is just what are they doing about it?

I have sent other emails of this nature to Paypal in the past but I don't think on my feet as well as I did when I was younger.

Still PayPal's email was very polite and friendly (unlike eBay) so I have written out the advice PayPal gave to me and pegged it on my notice board in my office.

I will not be falling for anything like this again Woman Tongue

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Bogus PayPal receipt ...

Thanks, Clarry. Yes, thankfully I have always been meticulous about having the latest quality anti-virus software on my computer.

I know better than to open anything like this. I just wasn't thinking Woman Frustrated Will alawys be wide awake from now on though. Marvellous how something like this can bring one out of complacency with a jolt Woman Embarassed

Have a great day.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply