Buyer Paid - Seller doesnt see that product is sold and paid for

jolax18
Community Member

Hi there,

I m selling a product. The buyer emailed me that paid for it but I can't see a payment and product doesnt come up as sold product. Could you please advise what's the problem?

thank you kindly

yolax18

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

How did they pay?

Has the buyer been able to 'prove' they paid?

Was it under this ID?  (nothing shows to me under completed listings) 

As you are a new seller, all funds will be on hold for at least 21 days

But as you are a new seller, it is also important to be certain they really have paid at all, and not someone trying to scam you as a new seller 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Never go by what a random buyer tells you. I can't see anything under your sold listings, so it appears to be a bit suspicious that the buyer would email you. I've never had someone message me to tell me they have paid.

Anything sold will come up in my orders and I will get an email from Ebay itself, which I can double check in my messages.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

We are just normal members here, so we cannot know what the problem is, but it looks like either the buyer is new and made a mistake ( I am not sure how people can think they have paid when they have not, as there was another poster just today who claimed to have paid, but the items don't appear in their purchase history - maybe people think that when they add items to their cart they have actually bought them?), or he is possibly a scammer.

At any rate the first thing I would do is ask for a proof... and if he has really paid, which I doubt, contact eBay.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If you have not received an order, there is nothing you can do, regardless of whether the buyer has paid - I have had instances where funds were debited from a buyer and the order never showed on my side, but it never showed on their side, either (and they confirmed this). Normally, it means the debit request was made so will be pending, but ultimately won't clear and the funds will bounce back in a couple of days. If not, they have to take it up with eBay or their card provider, because without a transaction to access, you can neither cancel / refund, nor progress the order in any way. 

As mentioned above, do be wary of random members saying "I bought this, where is it?". It's a common scam, sometimes it contains threats to report you etc, all they're trying to do is get the seller to panic and send money or the item. A couple of years ago, a seller I know received a message containing a screenshot of the "congrats / payment successful" screen you go to after finalising a payment for a purchase, and the buyer was saying they had bought the item, and this was the "evidence" of payment, so was trying to get them to send an "order" that of course wasn't showing on the seller's side.

Obviously, there are numerous things wrong with that whole scenario. The first being, at the time, that screen did not show any seller or item details, so it could have been a purchase for anything. More importantly, who takes a screenshot of that page? Like, what would someone be thinking at the time, to get to that screen and go "better take a screenshot to prove I've paid for.... something" ?  (The answer, of course, is someone who is thinking they want to use it later - it just would not occur to someone who is going through the motions of buying / paying as normal, you would only start to look for evidence of a purchase made if something went wrong after all was said and done. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

The problem is the buyer probably has not paid. Probably didn't buy it properly in the first place.

My selling experience is years ago but I do recall we often had cases of buyers sending us messages to assure us they had paid. They would swear black & blue they had. This was in the days before paypal, when bank deposit was the usual payment method.

My sister always had the same response for them. She would say that unfortunately the payment is not showing from her side so could they double check with their bank to see what is going on.

I think you need to do something similar. Just reply that you have checked (your paypal account, bank account, whatever) and there is definitely no payment showing and in fact ebay is showing that the item has not been purchased in the first place, it is not marked as a sold product. That if they want it, they will need to go through with the purchase again because it obviously did not work first time around.

And stick with that until such time as the item is shown in ebay as sold and the payment has been received.

Never send an item or refund money etc just on the 'buyer's' say so.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply