Buyer filed a dispute / chargeback with their bank as they don't recognise the transaction

I received an email informing me of this dispute today, 18 December. This is the first time I've experienced this in 5 years, and I'm aware that I am eligible for seller protection, however the buyer's purchase transaction took place on 14 September, so just over 3 months ago. And I cannot view the sale details for items sold over 90 days ago to gather the proof I need of tracked delivery confirmation, etc.

How do I respond and prove this was a proper sale / purchase if I can't access the transaction details? Is that why the buyer has taken this long to file the dispute? Why did they not notice it months ago if they didn't recognise the transaction? Why not check their ebay account to see what they had purchased? 

Help! 

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyer filed a dispute / chargeback with their bank as they don't recognise the transaction

etb321
Community Member

I'm a survivor of an unrecognized transaction dispute. 

Some points. 

You must upload a response. The seller protection will only kick in (immediatey) after the upload. Somewhat later a proportion of the postage cost will be credited to to your account.  If the dispute is resolved in the buyers favour (almost a cetainty) your feedback score will be decreased by one.

Ebay don't read the dispute material and are not involved in making  the outcome decision.    Your response is forwarded unread to the buyers bank who make the decision.

Allow plenty of time to respond. I found having to change documents to  various uploadable formats and fit within upload size limits quite time consuming.

In my case I incuded emails from the buyer saying he had made a mistake and now recognized the transaction as valid but the bank still found in the buyer's favour. 

My conclusion:  The outcome of  the dispute is going to found in favour of the buyer so don't be too concerned that you can't provide some of the data.  To get the buyer protection you must upload a response before the deadline.  Don't take it too seriously.

Tom

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Do you have a record in auspost or was this like a satchel or something

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

I'm a survivor of an unrecognized transaction dispute. 

Some points. 

You must upload a response. The seller protection will only kick in (immediatey) after the upload. Somewhat later a proportion of the postage cost will be credited to to your account.  If the dispute is resolved in the buyers favour (almost a cetainty) your feedback score will be decreased by one.

Ebay don't read the dispute material and are not involved in making  the outcome decision.    Your response is forwarded unread to the buyers bank who make the decision.

Allow plenty of time to respond. I found having to change documents to  various uploadable formats and fit within upload size limits quite time consuming.

In my case I incuded emails from the buyer saying he had made a mistake and now recognized the transaction as valid but the bank still found in the buyer's favour. 

My conclusion:  The outcome of  the dispute is going to found in favour of the buyer so don't be too concerned that you can't provide some of the data.  To get the buyer protection you must upload a response before the deadline.  Don't take it too seriously.

Tom

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

I always keep all the emails relating to sales,  that way there is a record of anything, I know it wont help you now.  Also by using Mypost, besides the cheaper rates, again we have a record.

As to them not noticing,  this could be legit,  some of my accounts I check daily,  but I have one which I only check when the statement comes in which is 6 monthly,  so it is possible, we don't all sit on our bank accounts checking.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

have you received feedback for the item?

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

I just used one of the prepaid satchels. I always buy them in packs of 10 and post them in a box nearby.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

Oh wow! Ok. Thank you so much for this detailed and helpful post. 🙏 

Because the sale was so long ago, I can't access any record of it. I remember it was an easy transaction. No messages needed. Ugh.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

Very true. Thank you! 

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

No, they never left any feedback if I recall correctly. Although I can't see feedback older than 90 days to check at this point.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Just focusing on this part of your post:   And I cannot view the sale details for items sold over 90 days ago to gather the proof I need of tracked delivery confirmation, etc.

These days you can see your orders much older than that - in Orders - All Orders - Manage Your Orders,   change the next drop down from 90 days to  "this year".       If you downloaded your tracking numbers it will still be visible.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply