Buyer has opened a "defective item" return request when the item is not defective

I sell Region 1 DVDs.   All of my items are clearly advertised as Region 1 DVDs in several places throughout my item description.

One of my buyers has purchased a DVD without reading the item description.  The DVD is not compatible with his DVD player.  he buyer has not opened a return request claiming that the DVD is defective.  The DVD is not defective, the buyer just didn't read the description.   It seems it is my responsibility as a seller to pay for the return postage for the DVD to be returned.

I plan on challenging this, however I don't know what my chances are.  Does anyone have any advise for me on this?  Does ebay ever close return requests in the favour of the seller?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Buyer has opened a "defective item" return request when the item is not defective

Is there clear evidence in the ebay messages between you and the buyer that the buyer admits they did not read your description?

If so then I would say based on this you would have some chance of winning a formal claim as ebay can read those messages too.

But it seems from many stories on these boards it is rare that ebay will find in favour of the seller.

If they do open a case NEVER ask ebay to step in and solve it for you as that is just inviting them to find in favour of the buyer.

By all means call them to discuss your take on the case and present your messages, but let them make any decision to close the case.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

It's a nuisance when you can't edit replies here after a few minutes, but I just wanted to clarify this comment:

" but let them make any decision to close the case "

Did you mean "but DON'T let them make any decision to close the case".

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

The buyer has not opened a return request claiming that the DVD is defective

Bit of confusion here, has the buyer said there is a defect or not? If not then everything depends on your returns policy, if you don't allow returns then you can just refuse. If you do allow returns the buyer is responsible for return postage.

If they are claiming it is defective you can either spend the time contesting the claim and if you lose either pay for the return or refund without a return if that is economically better or you can write it off and just agree to the refund.

Depends how valuable you consider your time. You do have a reasonably good case if the buyer has just said it does not work on their player, I would ring ebay and point out that it should be treated as a change of mind as the buyer did not read the information in the listing.

Success or failure will probably depend on which side of the bed the ebay support member got out of that morning.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Through the returns console select the option to send a message to the buyer and explain to the buyer that it is a Region 1 DVD which is not compatible with their DVD player so it is a change of mind purchase, not a faulty item.

If you accept returns for change of mind purchases, in the message, offer for the buyer to return it at their cost.

Don't choose the option to accept the return as if you do you have to accept it back.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Cathy... no I meant don't let them.... Perhaps was not so clear in my choice of words.

I meant to say if you are seen in some way as asking them to step and make a decision for you then its very likely they will find in favour of the buyer.

But if you call them on the basis of seeking advice on the case and presenting the messages between you and the buyer as your evidence (if indeed it is so), then let them make any decision based on your discussion/questions as opposed to requesting them to step in and close the case.

Possibly a fine line, but seems to me from various cases presented on these boards if a seller in any way asks them to step in you are doomed to lose the case.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

is it best to call eBay or email them?  I have never really used the phone support before as I figure they would rather communicate through email so it is documented.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Wow, that a tw@ - how old is their DVD player in that it can't read anything besides region 4? DVD region restrictions were removed years ago in this country. In fact, the only DVD players I have which refuse to read other regions is a PlayStation 2 and a Samsung dual VHS/DVD system; both are from the early 2000s.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Some of the current Panasonics do not play other region DVDs.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

It's always a good idea to phone eBay - even ask for a call-back to avoid being on hold.  That way you can direct the CS person to any messages and if you aren't satisfied you've been understood, ask to speak to a supervisor there and then.  As long as you have all the documentation you need in front of you, phoning is better.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply