Buyer left negative because I would not post pickup only item

Listed an National DR49 radio receiver unit for pickup only.

I put in a request to cancel the sale thinking they made a mistake but they claim the listing says postage available.

They have not accepted the request - have not paid for the item but just left negative feedback.

Does anyone think the listing was deceptive ##322248620144

Ebay should remove the feedback right?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I think where the problem may lie is in your description.

You have shipping details listed.

In other words if I read your description only, I would think you post as well.

Nowhere in the description does it state pick up only.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

It clearly states pick up only,(but in the past there has been a problem when using a phone).

As they could still pay and you haven't opened and closed an unpaid item case you should not be relisting it.

As Kopes stated: in your description you have a shipping blurb which should be removed when you sell a

pick up item.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

@collectibles_in_canberra wrote:

Listed an National DR49 radio receiver unit for pickup only.

I put in a request to cancel the sale thinking they made a mistake but they claim the listing says postage available.

They have not accepted the request - have not paid for the item but just left negative feedback.

Does anyone think the listing was deceptive ##322248620144

Ebay should remove the feedback right?

I feel your pain.....and would not have bought this myself before checking that you could post.

Only thing might be that at the bottom of your ad it says:

"Shipping

We post Monday - Wednesday - Friday and endeavour to dispatch all items within 2-3 working days of cleared payment. 

Items must be sent to the registered Paypal address. If you would like the item send to a different address you will need to change it when paying."

That might be a little confusing.......no need for them to turn nasty though

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

The postage section is part of a template & I assumed buyers would know it is only for items being offered with postage option. Not relevant for pickup only items.

I have sold hundreds of items for pickup only and have the same shipping section in the adverts. Never had this problem before.

The buyer will not be paying for the item so not concerned about encountering a problem with the relist.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Nice to hear other peoples views so will change the listing in future for pickup items.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

If you'd gone down the unpaid item route, you could have had the feedback removed when the dispute closed. That's one of the reasons several of us here only do cancellations in very special circumstances. Everything else is UPI.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I would open an unpaid item dispute - you have nothing left to lose at this point.

At the same time, if something doesn't relate to a specific listing - REMOVE IT.

It's great to have templates, but you need to tweak listings to suit the situation.

If you don't ship, then don't have ANYTHING in the listing which might confuse the buyer.

Usually if I have a pickup item I will put it in the listing title along with the postcode.

Example: Chest of Drawers - PICKUP 3220

You want to minimise confusion, not add to it.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Looking at the listing concerned, I scrolled through the entire text also thinking you shipped out.

Whilst you do say pickup at the store, it doesn't really state that the item ITSELF can't be posted - after all, lots of businesses offer both. If a buyer lives in the area, they can pick up, otherwise it will get posted.

Overall, I would say the listing is ambiguous at best.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Just to clear up a few points.

The OP didn't open an unpaid case as the buyer would have paid expecting items posted.

The cancellation will time out if no action on it from the buyer.

OP can contact eBay stating listing was PIck up only for removal of feedback.

A UPI case cannot be opened once a cancellation has been opened.

image host
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply