Buyer refunded but item not returned

Being a 1st time seller on ebay, I had the misfortune of encountering a buyer who brought a 2nd hand branded bag from me, hassled me to ship it to her despite the fact that I never actually received the money that she paid (casual buyers have their funds on hold until it is ship confirmed). In the end I shipped the item out of my own pocket, thinking I will finally be paid when she received it. Then buyer turns around and ask for a refund. The minute I approved the refund, the amount was immediately deducted from my account despite the buyer not having shipped the item back to me.

Now I am not only out of the money but without the bag too!

eBay obviously do not protect its sellers and will not be selling again ever on eBay. Meanwhile I foresee long conversation with eBay help desk on the existing case!
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

There are multiple options available when accepting a return and one is to refund the full amount and the buyer keeps the item. I feel this is the option you selected as the others clearly state to refund the payment after you get the item back. 

If you check your email it may state which option you selectd.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are a new seller so your funds would be on hold with paypal for 21 days....it has nothing to do with the buyer's status.

The buyer has every right to expect the item to be shipped as soon as she paid.

If you read the rules before rushing in to selling you may have avoided all this and not lost your money and item.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Itโ€™s a hard truth Baby,but exactly as Lyndal has stated. eBay today is a minefield and new sellers are ripe for the picking. As a seller, eBay is not your friend and it has more angles to play than what youโ€™ll find on a billiard table, especially if you are uninformed.

Familiarise yourself with its rules and policies. Spend some time here in the forums. It is your most valuable resource as a seller. And donโ€™t ever process a refund until the item is returned to you in the condition it was sent.

I wish you well.

Melina.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

There are so many problems with this whole thing, but why did the buyer ask for a refund?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

1. Why did the buyer ask for a refund?

2. Did the buyer open a dispute?

3. Why did you refund before getting the item back?

4. Did you jump the gun for fear of negative feedback?

Sadly, because you didn't follow the correct procedures, you've lost the money and the item. I would take a guess and say the buyer was wanting a freebie, or they bought to resell, so want to maximise their profit by getting it for nothing.

If number 4 is correct, that's sad. No one should ever lose out for fear of a negative feedback. It is nothing more than a coloured dot on a screen. It is worthless. It's certainly not worth losing money over, that's for sure.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

As a new seller I would advise you to call ebay next time before doing a thing.

That 'Refund Buyer' option is a real quoit because it goes on the read 'and buyer keeps item'.

If you have been set up for Automatic Returns, I am pretty sure the buyer must still send the item back.

btw You can get your funds released once the buyer has left feedback or on line tracking indicates

the item has been delivered. You don't have to wait 21 days normally.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

how dare you expect to get paid-don't you know that ebay is for buyers to get things for free-you don't sell on ebay you are expected to give items away free-geesh some 'sellers' have no idea

there are many many buyers on ebay who prey on new sellers and specifically seek out new sellers who have no idea of the system so they can items for free.

This item will now be resold at a profit over what you sold it-thanks for the freebie newbie seller the buyer will be saying.

thank you for using paypal and ebay to give away your item for free

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply