Buyer requesting an unfair return

Hi! I sold a dress on eBay recently and the buyer is requesting a full refund based on the fact that the dress didn't come with a belt. I never mentioned the dress came with a belt, nor did any of the photo's of the dress show a belt! The dress does have belt holes, but it didn't have a belt when I originally bought it (I did buy it second hand some time ago). Do I have a good case or should I just refund their money? I don't think I've done anything wrong, nor do I feel like I've been misleading.
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Although I agree with you that you haven't done anything wrong, when it comes to these sort of issues, I've learnt from experience to "dot every i and cross every t".

In other words I spell everything out in as much indisputable detail as I can.

In the case of dresses that have no belts, I always say something like, "This dress comes without a belt" or, if I model the dress in my photos with a belt of my own, I'll say: "Belt for display only - not included in sale.

That way, there is no chance of a misunderstanding or dispute.

Having said all that, you are right, if you didn't mention a belt and there was no belt in the photos of the dress, you have not mislead anyone. Its up to you, whether you want an easy life or not.

These days, I have no stomach for a fight and sellers generally come off worst in disputes on ebay anyway, so I usually take the line of least resistance and refund if that's what the buyer is requesting (unless of course, there's a very strong case against that.)

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I don't think the buyer is entitled to keep the dress AND get a full refund.

Although you described the item to the best of your ability and the buyer has misunderstood, you could ask her to open an  ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED dispute, which should then prompt the buyer to have to return the item.

Once they have done this and you have received it (in the condition it was originally sent), then give them a refund.

You will probably have to refund her return postage cost in this case as well.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

betty you are spot on , i once had a message , but same thing  there was a room painted in the color paint i was selling , to show what it looked like ,but there was a piano in the room , and got asked did the piano come with the paint.  i should of said sure only if you can carry it on a bicycle.mmmm

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

rofl @ joe

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply