Buyer return - getting complicated...

I had a buyer request a return - she bought an old TV magazine with an actor on the cover, apparently expecting an article on the actor to be inside. There wasn't, not did my item description say or imply that there was. She bought a near-identical item from another seller a few days later for about 75% of what she paid for mine - and did the same with that seller: no article, returning the item.

"No returns" was stated on the original listing. Despite that, she requested a return, and chose "I don't want the item any more" as the reason (mistakenly, she says). eBay told me I didn't have to accept the return on that basis or issue a refund. They dealt with it, and removed the negative feedback she left.

So, matter resolved, right? Uh-uh...

The buyer stated that she'd be returning it anyway, and sure enough, I've just had a DHL "missed delivery" card pop up on my doorstep.

eBay Customer Service rep stated in an e-mail (after the buyer had said she'd be returning it regardless): "I understand that they're still forcing to send back the item and try to get their money back with the help of their financial institution. What I do suggest is that you refuse to collect the item or you can return it to the sender. That way, they get to keep it no matter how they try to send it back to you for a refund".

Refusing to collect it seems childish, while returning the item to the buyer could just be the start of a game of ping-pong. But, if I actually collect the item, I'm more or less obliged to refund her, as I then have both the item and her money. As the transaction fell through not as a result of any wrong-doing on my part, but as a direct result of her either assuming the item would be something it wasn't, or having second thoughts between purchase and delivery, I'm not inclined to refund (and in any case, I no longer have the money).

The item went for an unusually high price (several hundred dollars). The unsuccessful bidder, who bought many other items from me in the same week, would still like the item, but isn't willing (not surprisingly!) to go to the same figure she went to before (less than a quarter, in fact). 

So - where to from here?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Oooooo got a good one there!

I'd be concerned that once they can proove you have received the item back, they could chargeback?

I'd also be concerned about what is in that delivery - could be a uk newspaper or rubbish for all you know. 

My questions:

How did they pay? I'm assuming Paypal

Can you contact DHL to check that she is the sender? (if it's not her, no problem!)

I'm hoping someone else more knowledgeable can come along to help!!

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Many thanks for your reply!

Yes, that's the main thing: it's a "tracked" delivery, so if I collect it, it's documented.

Payment was via Paypal. I have the DHL note, so can ring them and try to verify who the sender is.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

If she has opened a dispute over the item and it has been closed I do not think they can then open another via paypal.

I am sure the system does not allow it.

But if they funded the payment with a CC they could claim unauthorised purchase but then you can also fight that as she has messaged you about the item.

If they do return it then you are under no obligation to refund for their error at all no matter how much they paid.

They could have listed it them self and resold it to recoup the money.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Minor update: just got in touch with DHL; package is from Colgate-Palmolive in New York, contents listed as "documents".

I've never had any contact with anyone from Colgate-Palmolive, no reason why they'd be sending me anything.

However, the buyer I sent the item to lives in New York...

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Is it the one with Johnny Crawford on cover? That sold on the 3rd Jan?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@whiznumber6 wrote:

Refusing to collect it seems childish, 

It is never childish to adhere to your return policies - the buyer was told no returns would be accepted and they are trying to force one regardless, so IMHO if anyone is being childish here, it's not you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The DHL tracking should show the origin of the package, and the buyer may have sent it via their workplace to get cheaper (or even free) postage costs via DHL - you may well be able to refuse it over the phone. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

twyngwyn - Yes, that's the one!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply