Buyer reversed payment six month later even after leaving positive feedback

Hi, I had sold an item about six months ago in August of 2018 and two weeks ago the buyer reversed the payment. Paypal had sent me email about the dispute and to provide supporting documentation to help them with the evidence but I didn't check my email for days until the case was closed and I came to know that there was a disputed lodged to Paypal. I went to investigate it and found out that the buyer has even left positive feedback for me for that particular item that she had purchased. That suggests me that she even has received the item and yet she still lodged a dispute. 

Now my question is what can I do about it? The Paypal is not helpful anymore as the matter is closed already. This is very unfair for sellers. Yes I should've checked the email and respond on time but I believe the case can still be opened and resolve the matter as I can provide evidence. 

The other thing I don't like about Paypal is their app doesn't send you notification about dispute cases. All you get is email and given only two days to respond. They are people who don't check their email often. Their app should have their own inbox system and you should get a notification for disputes as well, not just for money coming in and going out. This is pathetic.  

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately ebay and paypal disputes are very dependent on strict timeframes.  If you do not respond in time the dispute will close in the other party's favour.

Was the dispute a bank chargeback....and what was the reason given?

If not a bank chargeback the buyer should not have been able to open a dispute through paypal as there is a 180 day limit.

If it was a dispute opened by the buyer you could try appealing on the grounds that they were out of time (if indeed that is the case)

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I rang Paypal about this and they said her bank has initiated the chargeback. I guess she came to see the transaction months later in her statement and didnt recognise thus rang her bank to reverse the transaction. It could've been their kids buying the item without their parents permission as it was collectable item for kids. Although the amount is not siginificant, this is not fair for sellers as it could've been bigger amount. 

So how can I appeal this as you mentioned? Is it still possible to appeal if it was buyer's bank?

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to appeal a bank chargeback especially if it was closed because you did not respond in time.

It is hard enough to win if you respond immediately.

Was it an Unauthorised Transaction chargeback....they are the hardest to win.  You have to rely on having all the proof for your Seller Protection to kick in.

If you fight a chargeback and still lose you will be hit with a $15 fee on top of the transaction cost.  As you do not mention the fee I assume you will not be charged that as you did not fight the chargeback.

If I were you I would contact the buyer and ask why she did it and why so long after payment.   If she does not answer or offer to repay you can tell her you will contact ACORN...the online fraud squad.   That may see a payment being ade to your bank account....give her the details so she can deposit the money (and cannot do another chargeback).

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply