Buyer wants 2 weeks to pay for item.

I am fairly new to the selling side of Ebay and all of my sales have gone beautifully so far. I wanted to get some ideas from some experienced Ebayers about a recent sale of mine.

It was a Pick Up Only sale, the buyer ( very new- no feedback) took just under two days to get back to me after I invoiced them stating that they are away for two weeks and can they pick up the item after that.

I replied with a 'no worries' but asked whether they could at least put the money in PayPal ( it's literally a $6 sale with no delivery fees).

What is the correct procedure here? I'm kind of regretting being so relaxed about the buyers request to hold the item. And has anyone else come across something like this?

Thanks in advance for your help:)

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We normally accept such requests for extended payment times. But our items are rarely pickup. But if they are we ask for cash at the door please. Also for pickup/cash items there is no seller protection.

If the day they asked for payment to be made by passes, then we raise an unpid item duspute (UID). This then gives them a further 4-days to pay. If they still haven't paid then we close the case and get back our Final Value Fee (FVF).

In probably about 50% of cases where the buyer asks for an extension they never pay or make any further contact. But that's what the UID process is there for.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

We normally accept such requests for extended payment times. But our items are rarely pickup. But if they are we ask for cash at the door please. Also for pickup/cash items there is no seller protection.

If the day they asked for payment to be made by passes, then we raise an unpid item duspute (UID). This then gives them a further 4-days to pay. If they still haven't paid then we close the case and get back our Final Value Fee (FVF).

In probably about 50% of cases where the buyer asks for an extension they never pay or make any further contact. But that's what the UID process is there for.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

No, you do NOT want the payment in PP.  Just say OK, and set a date by which it has to be collected.  Unless you set a reasonable time frame it can get messy; they can come back any time demanding "their" item, and they have 2 months to leave FB.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

You can either tell them yes or no but there is absolutely no sensible reason why you would want to encourage them to use Pypal as you have no seller protection.

It would have been better form on their part to have asked before they bid but they didn't so now you either have to agree or you can open an unpaid item dispute after 4 days and find they either pay with Paypal and probably leave you a neg or they will not and you will have to relist and perhaps wait even longer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

P.S- I just heard back from the buyer that they don't have PayPal. Frankly this seems like ignorance on the buyers behalf . And it kind of ticks me off. Why would someone bid on an item and then plan to not pay for it or pick it up in a timely manner?? Seriously, two weeks??  My concern is that because it's such a low priced item they will not be in such a hurry to pay it.....but I may be wrong. I'll be specifying payment terms in all of my ads from now on.

Thanks to the generous posters for answering my query:)

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Be glad that they don't have PayPal. Theoretically, they can pay, pick the item up and claim to PayPal that they never received it as you have no proof of postage lodgement or that they collected it (according to PayPal's terms).

Don't stress and just wait the two weeks. If they don't get back to you out of their own accord, start an Unpaid Item Case. Honestly, I wouldn't bother chasing them up any further--it's up to them to make contact with you now.

Choose the first option, not the 2nd. Close the case 4 days afterwards (to the minute) if they don't pay, and eBay will credit you with the FVF fees.

Unpaid Item Screen.JPG

I have found my life a WHOLE lot easier when I put this block in place for my account:

Have a feedback score of 5 or lower and haven't gone through phone verification

As they don't have a PayPal account, they would have been blocked from buying from you. In other words, you wouldn't be where you are now with this transaction. All of this wouldn't have existed.

All newbies deserve a chance to buy but I, personally, don't have the time to muck around with it.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I don't believe there is any link between having a Paypal account and phone verification. I am not phone verified, nor is my main ID, because I don't have a landline and verification required one back then.

I am Paypal verified, but that just means I have linked my bank account to Paypal. Nothing to do with eBay verification.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

They might have been caught out by the school holidays 5 April to 21 April and are genuinely away for 2 weeks.

You have already consented, so I would just leave it like that - and no, as already answered -  don't accept payment by paypal

Give them a definite deadline - say pick up by 23 April and give them a suggested time and address.  Then if they don't arrive, you can start the unpaid item process.

Let's be positive.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

No, there isn't a direct link. But I have found, that buyers who have not set up their PayPal account have also often not bothered to go through phone verification.

Yes, the OP's buyer could have been phone verified--you are right.

It's just that many new buyers don't do either and so are blocked. I get dozens a month. Only the odd one can buy, as they have set up their PayPal account properly.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Hello - it is $6.00 -

Tell them to pay by bank deposit if they want you to hold the item - if they don't (not your fault they don't have paypal, and how can you NOT have paypal) then open NPB / close NPB and move on.

If they are worried you might run off with the $6.00!!!! give them your adress so they can 'sue' you later.

Is this for real - seriously - $6.00 ????

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply