Buyer won’t pay and has threaten to leave negative feedback if I don’t cancel the order

A buyer agreed on a buy it now price but has had buyers remorse and won’t pay. I’m waiting for you ebay to file an automatic unpaid disbute but now the buyer is threatening to leave negative feedback if I don’t cancel the order. I want the buyer to have an unpaid strike on their account as they have been nothing but nasty from day 1. What are my options?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Buyer won’t pay and has threaten to leave negative feedback if I don’t cancel the order

I am presuming that you have the Unpaid Item Assistant enabled.

Spoiler
I took a quick look at one of your items and noted that you fill the criteria for having UIA enabled – you use eBay checkout, and don't accept cash on pickup, cheques or money orders, or credit and debit card payments through an internet merchant account.

If so, an automatic unpaid item case will open 4 days after the sale if the buyer hasn't paid by then (as you no doubt know if you have UIA enabled).

The buyer won't be able to leave negative feedback. That's one of the benefits of using the Unpaid Item Assistant. On eBay's Resolving unpaid items with buyers page, it's stated that ❝Feedback from buyers who haven't paid is blocked automatically with Unpaid Item Assistant. As soon as the Unpaid Item Assistant opens a case, the buyer can't leave Feedback until the case is closed and you've received payment.❞

If you don't have the UIA enabled, then of course you'd open the unpaid item case yourself after 4 days if the buyer hasn't paid, and after another 4 days, you can go to the Resolution Centre and close the case, making sure that you select "No" under "Have you received payment from the buyer?"

If the buyer were to leave negative feedback either before or after you open the case, you'd almost certainly be able to get it removed.

❝For transactions involving an unpaid item, Feedback left by a buyer may be removed when:

• The buyer didn't pay or respond to the unpaid item process.
  • The buyer is suspended.
  • The buyer's communication in the Resolution Centre undermines the purpose of the unpaid item process and the eBay Feedback system.❞

– eBay's Unpaid item policy

To have such feedback removed (if it comes to that), you would contact eBay CS via eBay's "Have us call you" option, which is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

Note that eBay specifically say ❝We can also protect you against negative feedback.❞ on their Resolving unpaid items with buyers page.

It's probably a good idea to cease communication with the buyer at this stage, and to add the buyer to your blocked bidder list.

For the benefit of other (newer) sellers who don't know how to enable the Unpaid Item Assistant...

Spoiler

❝If you accept cash on pickup, cheques or money orders, or credit and debit card payments through your internet merchant account, you'll need to remove them as payment methods if you want to use Unpaid Item Assistant on those listings.

Enable Unpaid Item Assistant

Feedback from buyers who haven't paid is blocked automatically with Unpaid Item Assistant. As soon as the Unpaid Item Assistant opens a case, the buyer can't leave Feedback until the case is closed and you've received payment.❞

And... if opening unpaid item cases manually,

Spoiler

❝If it's been more than 4 days since the listing ended, you can select Report an unpaid item. This lets us know you're having a problem and starts the formal process for resolving the issue – we call this opening a case. You need to report a case within 32 days of the listing ending.

After opening a case, the buyer has 4 days to respond or pay for the item. On the fifth day, you can close the case by going to the Resolution Centre and selecting Close case. Under Have you received payment from the buyer?, select No. The unpaid item is then recorded on the buyer's account, the final value fee will be credited back to you, and you can relist the item.

It's important to close out any unpaid item cases. If you don't close an unpaid item case within 36 days, we'll close it for you, but you won't be eligible for a final value fee credit. Also, if we close a case, the unpaid item won't be recorded on the buyer's account.❞

– Resolving unpaid items with buyers

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

As always great & detailed advice.

However what will the OP do if the buyer pays after the case is opened?

Is it worth the angst when the buyer wishes to cancel?

If the buyer pays & the OP ships the item  the chances are that the buyer will then open a SNAD...jmo

It appears that the buyer does not want the item...I would cancel & reach for the BBL.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Why pander to non payers by cancelling an order, because of feedback extortion........

Op is stating clearly buyer won't pay and is nasty .....

If they are s-o-m-e-h-o-w still able to leave negative feedback after NPB is filed and completed; E-bay will look at buyers conduct/ messages and negative feedback will be removed.

We seem to be living in an age where it's ok to be threatening and abusive when someone doesn't get their way; by giving in it only compounds the problem for this seller, the next seller, the next one etc etc etc.......

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Better to the unpaid case as any feedback left will be removed.

Once the case is closed feedback cannot be left, unlike a cancellation.

Dear buyer,

I am waiting for a reply from eBay on how to cancel the transaction.

As soon as I hear back, they say it can take 24-48 hours I will cancel the transaction.

Regards,

Then as soon as the 4 days are up open an unpaid item case and close it 4 days later.

Ignore any messages if you get any as once the case is opened you are in the drivers seat.

Highly unlikely buyer will pay.

image host
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Honestly I always just cancel and move on and don't give it another thought. Giving someone a strike will not make any difference to their account and the best thing to learn reading the boards is some buyers can be nasty and your best option is to stop comunication as soon as possible. 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

"Op is stating clearly buyer won't pay "

My apologies...I missed the part in the OP where they said the buyer won't pay...only that they wanted to cancel.

I am the first to open UPI when there is no contact...however if they wish to cancel then I do so....no matter how "nasty" they are...after all there is a place for those types on the BBL.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

The buyer won the item in a “buy it now” on March 26th. It’s been over a week and I have the unpaid item to automatically file on my account. How can I check how many days until it is automatically filed on my account?
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

It used to be three (unpaid item) strikes and you're out !

Not sure what it is nowadays, but cancelling their purchase is only giving them the opportunity to do it again and again and again and don't get a strike for anything .......

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@rubysfriends wrote:
The buyer won the item in a “buy it now” on March 26th. It’s been over a week and I have the unpaid item to automatically file on my account. How can I check how many days until it is automatically filed on my account?

countess gave you a link to take you to the resolving problems with buyers help page, on which you'll find a link for the unpaid assistant.  You obviously found it to turn it on so it can't be that hard to find it again.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply