Can I sell an item elsewhere before an offer has been paid?

I am just a seller selling stuff from around the house (clean out while trying to make a buck), so I have some items listed on Ebay & other sites which of course I won't name.  All of my items are Buy It Now or Make An Offer.  So I am after opinions on what to do in a certain circumstance.
I received an offer on an item this morning which I accepted. If somebody else, on one of the other sites I have the item listed, wants to buy said item before the offer on Ebay has been paid, do/should/can I sell it to them or wait for the offer to be paid? Hope that makes sense. All pleasant responses appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You will have to wait 4 business days, and if the buyer does not pay after their offer has been accepted, then yes, you can relist and sell to another buyer.

I don't think the item will even be visible after you accept an offer, It is considered sold and awaiting payment, so nobody will be able to buy it anyway unless the buyer doesn't pay and you can cancel the transaction and relist it after 4 days.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Of course you are not really forced to send the item even if the buyer pays immediately, but if you don't, it will be a defect on your account and most probably also a neg from the buyer.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I understand the item disappears on ebay after an offer has been made but the item will still be listed/seen on other selling sites/platforms. What if somebody from those sites wants to buy?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I think that normally listings should be taken down on other platforms after an item has been bought or an offer accepted. It can be annoying if the buyer then really does not pay, but if you cancel before the 4 days there will be consequences. You can if you really want to, but there will be consequences.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Are there penalties and fees on the other sites as there would be with eBay?

If you choose to keep the item on the other sites while waiting for the eBay buyer to buy (whose offer you accepted) and the item is sold on the other site(s) where you kept it listed, what are you going to tell the eBay buyer who 'bought' first for reneging on the sale here?

You'll get a defect from eBay for sure for being 'out of stock'

Why not end on the other sites and then re-list if the buyer does not pay?

Assuming those sites don't have the same penalties 

Otherwise, it's the risk you know you are taking by listing on numerous sites and accepting accepting an offer on eBay

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

No, there are no penalties or fees on the other sites. 

I will mark the item pending on the other sites.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I received an offer on an item this morning which I accepted. If somebody else, on one of the other sites I have the item listed, wants to buy said item before the offer on Ebay has been paid, do/should/can I sell it to them or wait for the offer to be paid?

Okay, here's what I do. Not that I sell on ebay now, but I occasionally list on GT & MP.

I am guessing you do too and if so, you'll already know that even if you get someone who says they are interested etc, they don't always turn up. 

Most times they do but you can't count on it. You need to juggle things till you have a definite sale.

So if I have someone who says to me (on any site) that they want to buy, when I have already arranged to sell to someone else, I never say no. What I say is I currently have someone who is buying & I have arranged to hold it till such and such a date, but if that buyer lets me down, I will contact the writer and let them know.

This only works if the wait time isn't too far off. 

Quite honestly, if someone on ebay has accepted your offer, I would anticipate that normally, they would pay within the first 48 hours. I'd expect most to pay within the first 24 hours. So you may well have your answer quite quickly.

What I have found on the other sites is that people generally pick up, rather than have an item posted. And they often can't come immediately, they are looking for pick up a day or two away or maybe on a weekend so there is that time lapse anyway. 

But I would not agree to definitely sell to someone off ebay if you have accepted an offer. I would just do as you have done and say pending, but I'll get back to you if it falls through.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply