Changing paypal email address

I will soon be changing Internet Service Provider and in the process will be changing my email address. I have concerns as to how this will affect payments for sales which are paid by paypal.

Has anyone done this and how did you manage the transition?

I am trying to set up a GMail account - but can't get the thing to work properly. Once I have and get it sorted I will need to start the process. I have an unpaid straggler who says he is waitng to buy more items and combine postage!!  Can I update the paypal information on an item that is already sold but not paid for?

Any help would be most welcome.

TIA

Wendy

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@wendy9456 wrote:
Hi Thanks again Still nervous Nellie about it all. Never having done this - as per my reply below I will be trying to access and log in to an email address that no longer exists and it seems odd that I will be able to?
Cheers

Please Wendy, try to understand that you will not be logging into your paypal account with the old address if you make the new email address your PRIMARY one.   You will not be able to log into your old email account either which is why we have told you that you will not receive the paypal notifications that you have received funds.  You will need to log into your paypal account with the NEW addy to see that there are funds there from the old email address.

Please believe these two old timers.....it will be OK.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi Wendy, I did this recently and also asked about it on these forums but no-one seemed to know. I will be changing my server because NBN is steadily bearing down on this area and so I have changed my email to gmail whilst I sort it out. I changed my email with both Paypal and eBay and found that any sales from  listings with my old email address went through ( must have been changed to the new email address automatically)! I have since gone through all my listings and changed my Paypal email address to my current one. Sales seemed to flow steadily with no problem! Cat Happy

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Hi Wendy,

Once a PayPal sale has been finalized you can't change it other than to issue a refund.

The best way to proceed IMO is to just apply the appropriate discount to postage on any other eBay invoice you generate for this customer.

ie If he/she has already paid say, $7.20 and the final parcel is $13.80 then invoice postage on the subsequent combined invoice for $6.60

Re email addresses - You are doing the right thing by getting a web based account (service provider will never matter again).

Just update your PayPal details accordingly.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Just add the new email address to Paypal and make it primary, don't delete the old one, you can have up to 8 email addresses on one account. If anyone pays with the old email address it will still g onto your Paypal account, you just won't have access to some emails. A few post sale emails always go to your primary addie anyway.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

I did read that you can have 8 email addresses to one paypal account BUT once I have my new email address and change ISP's the old email address will become defunct so I will not be able to access anything with the old email address I thought
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I suggest you give PayPal a call.  Explain your situation, and get them to help you out on this one.  

Easy enough when it's only an email address being amended, but when it is ISP as well, really think you should talk to them.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Thank you for the input Cheers
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks I was just thinking the same thing. I think I better give them a call or send them an email - that way if they reply I have something in writing
Cheers and thanks again
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Do not waste your time emailing paypal.....you will wait forever if you get any answer at all.

The advice given by PJ is correct.   Leave your old email address attached to your paypal account and you will get any payments from stragglers.  All you may miss out on is an email notifying oif the payment as that will go to the old email address.  Just keep logging into your account until all payments have been received.

I had some money sent to me and the sender forgot to put .au on the end of my email address.  I just added that address to my account and bingo!!   money in the account immediately.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

It doesn't matter that you won't get some email notifications, you will still see your item marked as paid on the ebay page and the payment will be there and available in your Paypal account.

I have changed emails several times and have never removed the old addresses and I have always received the payments that were to the defunct email address.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply