Claim from a buyer I didn't sell to.

I have received a request for a replacement disc from an ebay seller I did not sell to. DVD discs were sent sealed and unopened.

"I purchased Downton Abbey Series 3 and 4 from you. I have opened Series three disc one. It will not play. I checked it on my computer and the properties show 0 bytes. So it is empty and obviously why it doesn't play. I put the second disc in and it does play but I don't want to watch the other discs until I have seen Disc one.
Could you please replace Disc One."

I sold the item to a different ebay buyer account.  It seems the messaging buyer has access to information of the one I sold to.
I have not responded to the request, I have just blocked both buyers.

I have reported it to ebay but from what I read in this forum I cannot expect much help/advice from them!
Any suggestions on what I should do now?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I don't think you can block a buyer you have a 'current' transaction with, how longs ago was the sale?

Did the buyer buy on a guest account?

Possibly a family member's account or a second account of the same person too

eBay will likely tell you you have to refund they buyer if they do reply to you at all

Personally I would not be doing anything unless the buyer opens a case 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

There was a similar thread not too long ago, and when the seller contacted eBay, they were told that the buyer had used a guest account. Not sure why someone who has an account would use a guest account, but there is no rule against it. It is not against the rules to have multiple accounts either, apart from when trying to circumvent blocking. Or maybe the buyer logged in to the wrong account, thinking he had purchased from the one you received the latest message from. Is the location at the bottom of the message the same as the one you sent the DVDs to?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

My thinking is drawn to the '0 bytes'.  A blank CD/DVD/Game Disk would be so exceptionally rare I'd ask to have it sent back just to check it out. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Sounds like the original purchase was possibly made through a guest account, which was then registered as a regular account subsequently. Guest account names look different to normal accounts, they're just a string of random letters.

I wouldn't do anything unless a dispute is opened.

If you have a current transaction with a buyer, you can add them to the BBL, but I don't think it would stop any messages getting through. It would only block them from a future purchase.

Why do you need to "report" it to Ebay? There's nothing that they can do, so I'm not sure what you're expecting of them - at this point, you only have a request, not a dispute. If there was an actual case, that would be a different story, but you would need to handle it as per the guidelines first.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply