Coming to a Post Office Near You

I went to the PO this afternoon and there was no one else there, so had a bit of a chat to the postmaster and his wife. I gave him my My Post card to scan and he said that they were being audited next month to see how many customers are actually using them. That discussion lead to another revelation.

Apparently from (I think) June, parcels for regular customers will only be held for 5 days. After that, they will be charged a fee per day for holding it. My Post customers will have theirs held for 10 days before being charged the daily fee. PO box holders will be 30 days. He said it was basically an incentive to upgrade. My Post is free, PO boxes aren't!

Why I think it's significant to know this is, I've seen on here where sellers have mentioned that some buyers are waiting a week or 2 before they collect their item from the PO. Are sellers then going to cop flack or even negative feedback if the buyer waits 2 weeks then has to pay a fee to collect their parcel? Will they blame the seller? Should be we keeping a closer eye on the tracking numbers and sending buyers a message to say their item is ready for collection?

I've only had one buyer that waited 10 days to collect his parcel, but I know others have had more. I don't know what the daily holding fee will be, but I don't want to be held responsible if a buyer is too lazy to go and collect their parcel!

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I heard about this the other day.... It's probably unlikely to affect very many of my packages, but I can see it being a major PITA for sellers who only (or primarily) send parcels.

eg What happens if the buyer refuses to pay the hold fee, does the package get RTS and the seller hit up for it? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (As well as return postage, since AP seem to be charging that on RTS parcels these days, too). 

I get trying to encourage more buyers to collect ASAP, because post offices aren't a Tardis n' all that, but it bugs me that AP's solution to everything lately is either charge more for it, or start charging for it. Smiley Mad 

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

welcome to the 21st century answer to everything, charge a fee for what was free.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks for the heads up Tippy!
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

I believe 2/3 of all post offices are run as LPOs (Licensed Post Offices), so the owners are paying rent and I guess need to justify the extended storage times. Do they make anything on each item they hold for the customer?

I was talking to my local parcel guy, and he told me he got paid the same price per parcel whether it was deliverd to the actual address, or at the LPO.

Also, I doubt there are too many lazy buyers. It is probably more a case of working a 9-5 job, and struggling to get home early enough one day to make the pickup, especially where their local PO is closed on Saturdays.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

@audio-spot wrote:

I was talking to my local parcel guy, and he told me he got paid the same price per parcel whether it was deliverd to the actual address, or at the LP

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@audio-spot wrote:

I was talking to my local parcel guy, and he told me he got paid the same price per parcel whether it was deliverd to the actual address, or at the LP

Not sure what happened there.....I just wanted to say that AP Contractors get $1.35 for each parcel they deliver to a home address and a further $1.35 to deliver ALL the parcels that could not be delivered to a street address to the PO.

They do not end up with $2.70 for any parcel delivered to the PO.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Does this AP charge have anything to do with the introduction of the Pick up system from Woolworths stores?  Was this introduced to circumvent the predicted AP late collection fee and to minimize any problems with buyers?  Just saying..............

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I heard about this the other day.... It's probably unlikely to affect very many of my packages, but I can see it being a major PITA for sellers who only (or primarily) send parcels.

eg What happens if the buyer refuses to pay the hold fee, does the package get RTS and the seller hit up for it? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (As well as return postage, since AP seem to be charging that on RTS parcels these days, too). 

I get trying to encourage more buyers to collect ASAP, because post offices aren't a Tardis n' all that, but it bugs me that AP's solution to everything lately is either charge more for it, or start charging for it. Smiley Mad 

Unfortunately the only way you can get a message across to some people is to hit them where it hurts most, which is the hip pocket.  I'm not criticising you for what you said, I'm just not sure there is any other way for them to get people to pick things up sooner.  With so many more parcels being sent these days than there were 15 or 20 years ago, post offices just don't have the space to store things. If they hire out extra space just to store things awaiting collection, that's going to cost someone somewhere - either those who don't collect, or postage will go up even more. 

If people want to buy online they can't blame someone else if they find it awkward to get to the PO to collect things within a week.  If you can't collect it, don't buy - simple.  I think 5 days is quite reasonable for them to hold things.  If people are going away they could surely ask someone else to collect their mail, or not buy online before they go.  If they really find it hard to get to the PO to collect things, have them sent to a friend or the next door neighbour, or to work.  At one stage I had a heap of things sent to a friend who lived 2 hours away and I just collected them next time I visited.  She used to enjoy opening my parcels to check them for me.  That's extreme but surely people can find someone who'll either collect things for them or who'll be home when the delivery man calls.

Our PO is a reasonable size in the customer area but their space out the back is extremely limited, yet some people leave large boxes sitting there for weeks before they bother to pick them up.  It's a small town where everyone knows the postmaster and his wife because we all pick up our mail from the PO (no street delivery) and I think a lot of people take advantage of that and are very casual about picking things up.  They just don't stop to think that maybe their parcel isn't the only one taking up valuable space - and I'm not talking about people who can't get there in working hours!  They know their parcels are there but they do nothing about it. 

Some of the stuff that sits there for ages is for people out of town who do get their mail delivered but the boxes are too big to fit in their letterboxes.  It's not the postie's job to drive up to the house (often a fair distance from the road) to drop boxes off.  These people may have to make a special trip into town to pick them up but they must know that when they buy the stuff, and they just think the post office can babysit it forever at their convenience.  A lot of them would come to town for other things but they just can't be bothered going a little bit out of their way to pick up their parcels while they're here.

I see many people complaining here because their 'pick up only' items aren't picked up within a week, so why should the PO be expected to hold things any longer than that?

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Here's the information brochure scanned Starts 1st August 2016 and there certainly are Fees as shown.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply