Customs fees by US to Export $2000+ item

Hello, I have an item for sale with alot of interest by buyers in the US. I'm just wondering if they'll need to pay fees to their local Customs (on top of the item price) to receive it. The item is valued at $2000+. When I originally bought the item from overseas (either US or Canada) for basically the same price, I had to pay $300-400 in Customs fees to receive it.

Thanks for any help. 🙂

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Registered post international is inadequate for the sale of an expensive item to a US buyer. They will be logged into ebay US when they purchase, which means that they will be covered by US buyer protection.  This requires online proof of delivery and, for expensive items, online proof of signature.

Express courier international is the way to go, and insure the item unless you're prepared to personally wear the loss if it's damaged or lost in transport.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-protection.html

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You would have paid Australian Customs fees and GST...payable on items over $1000.

The US limit is a lot lower...just $200, although some items are tax and duty free.  The average rate is 5.6% although it does vary from item to item.

You can look it up on line if you want to...US Import Duties and taxes.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for your help. I just went to the US Customs website and it says that items over $2000 require a formal declaration and you have to file a form in order to receive the item (or contact a Customs broker), which were the instructions I was given here too when I received it from overseas.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I don't remember a lot about it...the only time I got caught was when a seller sent 2 items together which added up to over $400 which was the Aussie limit back then.  I was contacted by the courier company, paid the charges over the phone and had the parcel delivered the next day.

If I needed anything like that done now I would just give the details to my daughter...it is her job to do customs clearances for imported goods and get them delivered.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

It is up to the buyer to be aware of any customs restrictions or taxes and fees, you should put a disclaimer in the listing stating this.

You need to fill out a customs declaration, do not be tempted to put a esser value or mark it as a gift as some buyers will ask you to do, this is against the law and could get you into serious trouble plus of course if the parcel went missing you couldn't claim back more than the declared value.

I hope you are aware of the different rules that apply if a buyer purchases through the US site, you will not only have to be able to prove you have sent the item but that you have on-line tracking showing that it has been delivered to the buyer's address.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks lyndal and PJ.

PJ, would you mind listing the right way to do that (prove you posted the item and have online tracking)? I am already going to send it by Registered Post but that may not have tracking, so I might have to send it Express.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Registered post international is inadequate for the sale of an expensive item to a US buyer. They will be logged into ebay US when they purchase, which means that they will be covered by US buyer protection.  This requires online proof of delivery and, for expensive items, online proof of signature.

Express courier international is the way to go, and insure the item unless you're prepared to personally wear the loss if it's damaged or lost in transport.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-protection.html

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks lemmayj, will probably just send it Express if the sale goes through.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply