Describing a stone in a ring as 'may be diamond?

Perhaps someone can advise me.I have a number of old gold rings,(stamped 9ct or 375..so they are definitely gold),BUT the clear stone in them I THINK is a small diamond/diamoind chip,BUT I do not own a tester,and to go to a jeweller to get it appraised is too costly....is there a way someone can suggest that I word the listing..to "cover" myself,without definitively saying it IS/IS NOT a diamond?Any help would be appreciated,Thank you all.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would take the items to Adelaide Exchange Jewellers in TTP and see how much they would offer you...that should tell you whether real or not

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

To be honest you need to know before you list it.

If I purchased the item and it was advertised with the word diamond then that is what I would expect.

It is up to you as the seller to have an accurate description to avoid having to refund for items not as described.

So research and advertise accurately

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I think you are setting yourself up to lose the rings if you follow that path.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

If you want to advertise like that, you would be better off selling via gumtree or facebook, not ebay. At least buyers there get to view before they go ahead and buy.

But it's a pretty poor way to sell, to be honest. If I saw such an ad on ebay, I would have to assume it wasn't a diamond & might even just be shoddy glass & I would not be bidding much. I'm guessing most other people wouldn't bid too high either.

You're setting yourself up for a fail. If it is a diamond, you would probably get a low price based on the ad.

If it is not a diamond, people will feel resentful & think you were trying to imply it probably was & they have been misled a bit.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

There's a simple way to tell if it's a diamond, assuming it is faceted. You get a piece of glass....

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

There's a simple way to tell if it's a diamond, assuming it is faceted. You get a piece of glass....

My cubic zirconia scratches glass.....

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

take it to cashies and pretend you want to sell it, they'll soon tell you if it's not a diamond

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

actually the prices things are selling on ebay you may get a better deal from cashies

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@clemmie02 wrote:

is there a way someone can suggest that I word the listing..to "cover" myself,without definitively saying it IS/IS NOT a diamond?Any help would be appreciated,Thank you all.

"Sparkly material" (assuming it does sparkle) would be acceptable, but less than ideal.

Think about it from a buyer's perspective, though - people who are looking for fashion jewellery will only pay fashion jewellery prices, and people looking for fine jewellery won't take the risk on an item set with unknown or unverified material. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply