Dishonest buyer

A buyer who took over a week to initially pay for two items has now almost two months later said they want to return both for a full refund. No faults in either garment but claims they have a " detectable odour of cigarette smoke" Non smoking household here and items were both clean.  Buyer has worn and also claims to have washed the garments

( silk and cashmere)  so returns will no doubt be unsaleable. How can ebay continually side with the buyer? Does a seller ever get the benefit of  doubt. It's not even the money loss that hurts so much as the feeling of being taken. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Dishonest buyer

I see that you don't accept returns in your listings, so I am not sure the buyer is entitled to return your items after two months (for whatever reason). The buyer is not covered any more by eBay MBG after 2 months so she cannot open a case. She could open a case in PP, but to mention a smell after 2 months is not a good reason for "Item not as described". I don't think the buyer can win.

Has she already left feedback when the item arrived or does she still have to leave feedback? As it is almost 2 months, she doesn't have much time left to leave feedback anyway and you could have it removed if she leaves negative feedback I think.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Dishonest buyer

OK, the fact that it took a week to pay has no bearing on the situation, thats a red herring.

It is only once you have worn something that you will really detect any inherent smells,  as it builds up around your snozzle.

Now you say you have a non smoking household,  but where did the clothes come from prior to you selling them?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Dishonest buyer

No returns on this one - I'm with Papermoon.

It stands to reason ' detectable odour of any kind ' will dissipate over time - with laundering & airing - unless of course the buyer herself is a smoker.

It wouldn't take 2 months for an ' odour ' to become ' detectable ' - one would assume it to be immediate - especially for a non smoker.

She has left her run a little late for eBay - and - I don't think PP will come to the party on this one.

Block the ditz.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Dishonest buyer

Ebay usually seems to side with the buyer but this is one case where ebay terms and conditions might work in your favour and give you a really decent chance of winning out.

The buyer has left it too long to make an ebay claim, by the sounds of it.

Nor do you offer change of mind returns in your ads. Even if you did, usually those would only be valid for one month.

I'd be inclined to reply to her very politely and explain that as it has been 2 months since the sale, the item isn't eligible for a return or refund as any fault was not reported within 30 days. I think I'd also add that yours is a smoke free household but that depends on how long the clothing was stored there.

It may be that that last point is not really valid in that the clothes quite possibly are not your own so may have been worn by a smoker. It is true that smells in clothes can tend to come out more once a person is wearing them, as sugar said.

However, the fact remains that this person bought used clothing and if she wanted to make a claim, should have made it a point to test it out soon after buying. Any item (even a new one) should be inspected soon after buying. A lot of bricks and mortar shops wouldn't accept a return after 2 months either.

She may make a paypal claim but then again, she may not know about separate ebay/paypal claims and even if she does, after 2 months, she may not win it if it is about smell.

You have a chance of winning. It would be interesting to know how you get on. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Dishonest buyer

She's out of time for opening a case.

Some buyers purchase items with the intention of wearing them for an occasion and then finding a "fault" so that they can claim a return.

Also, for future reference, any buyer that delays and delays in finalising a purchase is almost guaranteed to be a problematic buyer. Often times the buyer will have changed their mind about the purchase, but in order to avoid a non-payment strike, they pay for it, but then plan to recoup their money in another way.

If you do want to respond, you could send a simple message saying that unfortunately, since 2 months has passed, you are unable to assist her.

Personally, I would not bother responding as it's possible it will just degenerate into a stressful argument.  I wouldn't stir her up either by telling her she's out of time to open a case - let her find out for herself. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply