Does anyone else get this?

Hi all,

I have noticed that on some purchases, the addresses given to me are weird.

When I get an email notice that a purchase has been made, it displays the name and address of the person, which is all good.

I always double check in PP to make sure they match.

However, sometime I get a purchase and when I got to look at PP it is different. Again, this is usually fine as I contact the customer to make sure everything is kosher. However, I've had purchases where the email notification says one thing, the PP details say another, but when I go into the Sales Record, it shows the same details as PP???

Totally confusing as I would have though that the address shown in the notification email would be the one in the Sales Record?

For example, today a woman made a purchase - her address in the email notification was based in the US. When I went into Paypal, it showed a UK address and the sales record showed the same UK address. Where would it have picked up that US address from?

Sorry, I hope that makses sense.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Don't worry - this is actually really common, and not a glitch or anything.

The address you receive on eBay's item sold notification is the buyer's registered eBay address. When they go through checkout, they provide their delivery address.

Many times they are the same, but quite often they are completely different (eg someone may have something sent to someone else as a gift, which is one reason why occasionally the buyer will be in one country and have an item sent to a different country. Other times they get it sent to their work address instead of their home address, or simply have moved but haven't yet updated the address on file with eBay).

Personally, I don't even look at the address on the eBay notification, only the PP notification (unless they pay by bank deposit). 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks Digi - as an experienced Ebayer, even I get a bit confused by the info from Ebay.

I can just imagine what happens to inexperienced Ebayers!

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I always look at the sold notice to get a rough idea of where the buyer is. Most of the time it's the same as the one they use for PayPal. The first time there was a difference, I got really confused too. I ended up sending the buyer a message asking which address they wanted me to send to. They replied to use the one in the PayPal notification and went on to say that I should always post to that address, even if it's different to the sold notice, or I risk seller protection. I hadn't been selling that long, so really appreciated that info from the buyer.

I use 3 different addresses, depending on what I'm buying. If it's something I don't want safe dropped it either gets sent to Mr Tippy's work or I use Parcel Collect and if it's something that's coming as either a very small parcel or large letter that will fit in the letter box, I have it sent to my home address. Parcel collect is good in that if I go away for a time to say visit family, I can get stuff sent to their local PO. Being a member of My Post, if I have to go away without notice, I can intercept the parcel and get it redirected (providing it's not onboard with driver for delivery).

I agree, it must get very confusing for new people.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply