Does anyone know if this is an ebay file/download ?

ComboFix [product name]  - ComboFixNSIS file description] - Installer - csdvsvd [properties] - company Swearwear

It appears between no 5 & no 6 re-installed versions of turbo lister [I'm now up to NOo 10 & still can't get kilos & grams, only US lbs & ozs]

A red chinese symbol is the logo for the file

Any help from tech savvy people would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

think combofix is a utility of some kind for virus removal? Do a search for "combofix swearware" (without the quotes) and you should find out more... have you had virus trouble recently by any chance and installed combofix? It may be that combofix is removing/has removed something from your infected version of turbolister or something along these lines.

Probably be safest to update your virus hunter and do a full scan and then download a new copy of turbolister. Just what I'd do anyway.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132566/combofix-log-review-please-had-emotigt-and-maybe-mor... <- sorry bit of a crap link but do some googling you'll probably find what you need. I'd look into it more but its my beddybyes time 😉 good luck

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I have just done a quick search and Combofix is a sypyware etc removal tool. There are many cautions about using it as it is very powerful and needs some expertise in using it

Barrie

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks bookman & highland, I did have a malware attatck on the 11th [the date this was installed] it was a virus call Disk Antivirus Protector [or] Protection. I had a software chap come out & remove it so it is possibly the 'tool' he used.

I will give him a call & veryify that he installed it.

He told me the malware came from a RECIPE site, I'd only ever been on 3 or 4 [ladies beware !!] & it attached [last time I cook !!! lol] He said most viruses/malware are picked up on innocous sites that allow OTHERS to advertise on their websites, & it is the OTHERS who launch the malware/trojans etc.

It had placed itself as a bronze/gold padlock with a green tick in the top right hand corner of my desktop, I assumed it was an ASUS upload as I had had Updates not long before that from ASUS.

He also said it had corrupted my shortcuts, which he fixed.

I had been having trouble with SLOWNESS with TL prior to the malware taking over the computer, but after the attack I decided to unistall & re-install TL, that is when I began getting stuck with the USA weights.

Installed version no 10 last night, still getting US weights - there is another complication with the story too which I won't bore you with. But does anyone know [seeing as ebay staff can't answer the questions] if I uninstall version 10, then DELETE all the previous versions, as in get rid of ebay/turbo lister all together from my computer will that wipe out my current listings on here ?

I would be very grateful for some knowledgable help on here as I can't get it from ebay.

cheers & thanks in advance !!!

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Yes one of the favorite ways for folks to infect you is to pretend to be a "free" utility eg antivirus, or a speed your computer app etc which from the sound of your malware it may have been from such a beastie - you can get pop ups etc on "good" sites that will have this kind of malware in ads as your techy seems to have said so be wary what you click on, though you can also get infected by scripts.

You can remove TL completely and it won't affect your already listed stuff but you will lose your saved items and data on your PC, eg when you do a fresh install you won't have any items there and any you haven't put on eBay yet will be gone. Is there an option to save your backups or restore? There may be. Might be worth a try with a freshly downloaded copy after removing combofix.

If I had been your techy I would have uninstalled combofix after "cleaning" the computer - perhaps this may be an idea as its a removal, not prevention tool. You can do this however in your "add or remove programs" from control panel. I regret I have no experience with this particular utility so I can't tell if there is a problem as such with your TL install or if this app is "immunising" it or putting some kind of checksum tag on it etc. Probably best to play it safe and nuke and reinstall TL though.

As to the "slowness" well that's perhaps just TL its a pig of a program which is why I rarely use it, though if you experience overall slowness in windows it may be time for a full reinstall which you unfortunately do need to do from time to time with windows, and will make your techy happy.

I'm one of those that will always do a clean reinstall of windows on getting any amount of malware/virii anyway just to be on the safe side - I found that when previously working as a tech it was just the best solution and saved time in the long term, despite the occasional bitching of customers about it 😉 But this may not be necessary at this time.

I'd be recommending you invest in something like Bullguard (virus and firewall) as you may not be sufficiently protected. Also I'd recommend using WOT (web of trust) - this is free, although if you have a slow connection it may slow things down a little. Always keep your windows fully updated also and don't use cracked software. Doing these things won't make you immune but it will help. Education is the best defense.

If you think you are still infected you could also try Panda online scan. (and it wouldn't hurt to do this anyway from time to time).

I'm driveling on here a bit, my morning caffeine hasn't taken effect yet... um. Hopefully that may have given more info.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

HIghland you weren't driveling..you were being incredibly kind & helpful, thank you ! & i hope you are thoroughly enjoying your morning coffee, after all it is sunday & aren't we supposed to be allowed to relax on sundays ???????? I think that one's gone west with all the other good old sayings !!

I will ring the tech [he's great, he will advise over the phone] re removing the combofix thingy, if he says it's not his then ... if he says go ahead I will [I've been in the Install Uninstall section so often i'm a marvel at it now with this TL hassle].

I have Micorsoft Security Essentials [the free version], i asked him if i should invest in Norton [used to have it on another computer & couldn't transfer over, & had NO issues] & he said MSE is one of the best you can have [perhaps he assumed I had the PURCHASED version tho'] but may have to reconsider a new programme after that malware got through.

'I'm one of those that will always do a clean reinstall of windows on getting any amount of malware/virii anyway just to be on the safe side'  aren't there a lot of files associated with windows ? or is it just an all-in-one programme. I use Bling as my search engine, then have a Blank Home Page [can't stand all those weather reports, news, bling & flashing lights they all want to shove on their search pages].

You can remove TL completely and it won't affect your already listed stuff but you will lose your saved items and data on your PC, eg when you do a fresh install you won't have any items there and any you haven't put on eBay yet will be gone... that doesn't worry me, i've already deleted all prepared listings & templates etc... I tried everything to get it to work as an AUSTRALIAN turbo lister. Plus if it gets rid of all the Back Up files it may free up some space on the computer !!!

I will let you get back to enjoying your coffee & sunday paper ... have a lovely day highland !!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

It won't get rid of your backup files, which you can delete any time you want, unless you delete that directory.

I don't think reinstalling is going to fix anything. As it is affecting more than just you, it seems to be an issue with the latest update, so we'll just have to wear it until it's fixed.

My beef is that on this ID I don't qualify for supersize. As that feature has been taken away as an option and included by default, I can't list from TL until (probably, hopefully) I go through and redo my listings from scratch. Luckily there aren't many of them. My main ID is okay because it qualifies.

If I was using calculated postage I'd be extremely annoyed - it makes TL unusable. Yes, and the SYI is a PITA and doesn't allow listings to be set up in advance.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

dave when I have previously deleted OLD back up files I've had TL throw a fit and GREY OUT on me & throw up a message saying SOMEONE IS INTERFERING with your files.

SO i've never done it again, but this time I just want the WHOLE thing off my computer, it is making me so angry that ebay are so inept at fixing glitches or at even advising Sellers that a glitch exists & they are working on it.

Don't PINKS ever read these boards to find out what sellers & buyers are suffering through !

Great way to run a business isn't it !!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

If you are getting lbs and oz then you must be downloading the US version of TL.

Where are you finding the link to download?

If you make sure you are on the Au site then go to the site map you will find TL under selling Tools, just check once more before clicking it that you are still on the Au site (it has never gone astray when i have used that link) and you should be OK.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Hi pj,

yes, definitely on the Aust site, first time a new window opened & THAT was the US site kicking in.

I uninstalled that one & re-entered Aust website, made SURE the page openend from the AUS site......still got the US version.

I SAVE not RUN the download. Let installashield/wizard install it, open it, do sync with ebay, do total upgrade to full version, do updates, do all I can possibly do. Probably an entire day spent on this & still no joy. Dave has confirmed that he is getting lbs & ozs also since his latest 'Check For Updates' were installed, so I'm not alone.

In options - Selling Site is still greyed out for AUSTRALIA as the selling site. Aussie flag shows in columns when in UPLOAD section.......but KEEPS reverting back to US weights the MINUTE I click on anything.

Unistalled 4 times [was up to no 10 last night] just got rid of 5 of them & haven't gone near it since, it makes me tooooo angry.

People must wonder why,[ by the time I come on here] I'm usually aggro, this is a perfect example of what I've already tried to cope with BEFORE coming here so forgive my outbursts !!! And it never seems to stop with ebay, always glitches, and when ebay themselves can't help [live chat] that just compounds the stress.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply