Ebay Sales figures to Tax Dept

I recently contacted ebay in regard to the sales figure forwarded to the tax department.  I wanted to know if they deducted cancelled, and non payment items.  I was advised that they are not and the figure forwarded to tax departments is the total to tax year end of ALL sales made.  I have been paying GST and personal tax on figures that are not correct,  They advised me this has to be done manually be the seller and adjusted before sending in their own tax figures for GST and personal tax, this works our around 10% for my overall year average of returns and cancelled sales.  I want to make all aware of this as it is not stated anywhere that it is not taken off the total when cancelled.  I also asked ebay why they would not change this to help the seller and they said that they are an 'online platform for selling, not accountants'.  Please be aware when you are doing your tax figures

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

You need  to get better accounting software, that you enter and invoice your customers with. record your inventory, Also all your expenses such as stock cost at purchase and expenses like postage, internet usagse costs, you packing suplies etc this provides a balance sheet of all your costs and expenses verus income.

If you are registered for GST, you can claim the purchase prices GST of stock back. It also makes it easier to do your BAS return.

You should see an accountant.

You just have to have proof id an audit is down that your books balance

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

You need  to get better accounting software, that you enter and invoice your customers with. record your inventory, Also all your expenses such as stock cost at purchase and expenses like postage, internet usagse costs, you packing suplies etc this provides a balance sheet of all your costs and expenses verus income.

I don't use any accounting software myself and seem to manage fine with spreadsheets.

I have been considering purchasing a software because I have been sold it can create graphs of your sales history which might be interesting to predict sales and see how I am going.

Does anyone have any recommendations of an accounting software that works well with ebay?

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

Sorry for what may be a stupid question but where exactly do I find this?

TIA

Good Question BUMP

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

All that happens if I d/l an ebay report into a spread sheet is one big mess.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

You can do that here:

http://k2b-bulk.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SMFileManagementCenter

However I believe you need Selling Manager / Selling Manager Pro

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Yes you do, I think I had it once before and for me it's not worth the subscription.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

myamarley
Community Member

Hi, Just wanted to say a big THANKS! for that information, I have been going around in circles trying to find an easy way to get sales figures that include postage. I even went all the way through one spreadsheet, deleting all of the "AU"s so I could total up the column. I felt like a bit of a peanut while doing it and thought there must be an easier way! Thankyou so much!! 🙂

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

Hi Ausfast, sorry to be such a dummy but where do I find "Replace" & "replace all", have organised the download but can't do the next step for column U. I thnk i must be blind! Thanks

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

I actually use to get so annoyed with working all this out so now everytime i post something i put that amount on the cashregister under ebay and do the same when refunded, so i physically have it sorted and i just take the paypal fees off and ebayfees and postage at the of the quater, its just easier for me so it only gets put down as a sale when i post the item. i also do a read off at the end of the day, and stickit into a book with the tracking lables and addresses physically written out, that way of the tax man comes which he has twice he generally flixck through and ses all is square but doesnt delve into each individual transaction cause he would be there forever.

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Hi Ausfast, sorry to be such a dummy but where do I find "Replace" & "replace all", have organised the download but can't do the next step for column U. I thnk i must be blind! Thanks

Here you go, just made a screenshot for you.

It is based on Excel 2010. If you havve any of the previous versions of Excel you should find the Replace option from the Edit menu:

http://imgur.com/q40VY

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply