Ebay forcing immediate payment if paying by PayPal?

Wondering if anyone has noticed this.

Today I had a buyer try to purchase something and it took them directly to the payment page, which is strange since I don't have the immediate payment required selected. The buyer wanted to buy today and pay another day which I have no issues with!

So I used another account to try and purchase my own item (without committing of course) to see if I could see what they saw.

And indeed when I select buy-it-now Ebay takes me directly to the payment page where I have to choose a form of payment. If I chose PayPal, it took me to PayPal directly. If I choose bank deposit then I was offered to the usual "commit to buy" option.

This isn't ideal since people might want to buy more than one item and making them pay immediately discourages that!

Has anyone experienced this or know how to get around it?
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Check your settings....there have been several reports on the boards of the Immediate Payment options being ticked if you have BIN on a listing.

Other than that, your buyers can put the items in the Cart until they have finished shopping and can then request a postage total from you.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply Lyndal.

I did check the listing when the buyer informed me it was requiring immediate payment and "immediate payment required" definitely wasn't checked. Plus, if immediate payment WAS checked then Paypal would be the only payment option available, but that was not the case.

The buyer had the option to pay by Paypal, Bank Deposit or Money Order. If they selected Paypal, it would direct them immediately Paypal - there's no "commit to buy" button. If they choose Bank Deposit or Money Order, then they have the "commit to buy" button, which takes them through checkout immediately.

I told them to choose the bank deposit option. I thought I could send them an invoice so they could pay by Paypal tomorrow when they were ready to pay. But there's no option to send an invoice since they've gone through checkout. I will have to invoice them through Paypal instead.

The reason I didn't suggest they use add to cart was because then they haven't actually bought the item and someone could buy it instead. They definitely wanted the item, they just needed an extra day to pay.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I know where you are coming from re the Immediate Payment but there have been several sellers in the same position as you who have found that the Immediate Payment options has mysteriously been ticked without their knowledge.

Using the Cart option does give the buyer the option to buy the item....they have to commit to buy before they can ask for the combined postage invoice....that is, before you can actually see what they have bought and issue an invoice.   It really does not matter if they have only bought one item and the postage is OK....it just gives them the opportunity to delay payment for a while.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I know where you are coming from re the Immediate Payment but there have been several sellers in the same position as you who have found that the Immediate Payment options has mysteriously been ticked without their knowledge.

Even if that is the case, immediate payment is not supposed to be able to work if any payment options other than PayPal are offered, as it appears to be by the OP. (As in, you shouldn't be able to set it up if you offer anything other than PayPal, so if bank deposit is available, there should be no immediate payment option at all, even if PayPal is selected by the buyer as the payment method).

This started happening to Australian sellers with their overseas buyers a few years ago, and generally the "add to cart" function was also removed in those cases, forcing anyone who wanted to buy multiple items to check out each one individually unless convoluted workarounds were used. They (eBay) seriously need to get their act together and acknowledge / fix this (assuming there's a chance it isn't deliberate. Smiley Frustrated )

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Ebay replied and said the buyer must have some setting that takes them to the payment page. ๐Ÿ™„

I think this is nonsense.

I've checked a few listings (other people's) with my buying account. In all listings, the different sellers accept PayPal and other forms of payment - thus they must NOT have "immediate payment required" checked. Some listings take me directly to payment page and some take me to a commit to buy page. All listings have free post too! So it's not the postage that is causing this discrepancy.

So it seems Ebay knows nothing about how their site works. Gives you confidence in Ebay doesn't it? ๐Ÿ˜“
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Oh Lyndal, I tried adding to cart. The request total from seller is not available if postage is free. So buyer still needs to pay now if they want it.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

me too!
all my listing require "immediate payment" although it is not ticked in my listings and I have bank deposit and local pick up, ebay is just useless on the problem
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Check your settings

I had the same issue , and yes you have to check your settings . 

I never changed them for years but Ebay did and I didnt know.

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@lovetocraft2009 wrote:
me too!
all my listing require "immediate payment" although it is not ticked in my listings and I have bank deposit and local pick up, ebay is just useless on the problem

Go via accounts>site prefeerences>postage preferences and select accept combined payments and postage. This brings back the commit to buy prior to pay now so that items can be combined

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply