Ebay notifications to buyer about postage times – parcel ‘not received’ after 4 weeks

I’m not very clear as to exactly what notifications Ebay sends to the buyer as to when the item has been posted and delivered.

My problem is that I posted an item on 1 Feb and it was delivered on 6 Feb.  Today on 8 March the buyer messaged me and said she hadn’t received it.

I used an Ebay satchel & label and posted at Aus Post and received a lodgement receipt.  The tracking number was of course recorded on Ebay.

As this is now over 4 weeks since delivery, I might have thought that the buyer would have received a couple of notifications about the tracking of the parcel.  Hence she should accept some responsibility for following up a little earlier than this.  It will of course after this time, make it more difficult to enquire at Aus Post.

Related to this, should I actually follow up with those buyers who don’t leave feedback after the delivery has been made?

[I'm full anticipating that I will have to refund the money as this seems to be what Ebay requires of a sellers regardless of evidence to the contrary - so I've read here!]

Very grateful to members for all their guidance in the past

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Ebay notifications to buyer about postage times – parcel ‘not received’ after 4 weeks

Someone will come along with more experience on this kind of thing and post an answer for you.

But it in the meantime definitely do not refund.    You have tracking and you have delivery.    

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If you follow the link with tracking to Aust Post website does it say safe drop. If it does they would have left it somewhere where it supposed to be found. Many times people are not aware so do not look.

Either way contact Aust Post with the tracking number.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Did the tracking show that it had been "delivered" or "safe dropped" ? This sounds a bit fishy to me to wait all this time to say they haven't received it. As a Buyer, only on rare occasions have I been informed a parcel has been delivered. I do usually get notified that it has been sent. The tracking is there in eBay for the buyer to check progress of their parcel. I myself worry about things that are delivered, and not a peep out of the buyer. Especially when they are safe dropped.  It is just too easy for them to come back anytime after, in some cases, months later, and say they didn't receive it. However, I do not ask and just hope for the best. So far, I haven't had any problems, although others have. I would like to see mandatory feedback for parcel received, before they are allowed to buy again.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@jane-de-cluttering wrote:

I’m not very clear as to exactly what notifications Ebay sends to the buyer as to when the item has been posted and delivered.

The buyer gets an email from ebay giving them the tracking number.

My problem is that I posted an item on 1 Feb and it was delivered on 6 Feb.  Today on 8 March the buyer messaged me and said she hadn’t received it.

If she messaged you, that is much better than opening a dispute.    it might be worth while messaging her back, confirming the address that you posted to and advising her that the Australia Post site says it was posted.    (And yes, first check the Aust Post site and see if it was "safe drop" or other.

https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/#/search

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

"Related to this, should I actually follow up with those buyers who don’t leave feedback after the delivery has been made?"

Never do that...unscrupulous buyers will take advantage of you.

"[I'm full anticipating that I will have to refund the money as this seems to be what Ebay requires of a sellers regardless of evidence to the contrary - so I've read here!]"

Then you have read incorrectly.

If the buyer opens a case you need to upload the tracking details that show delivery & perhaps call CS with that info.

Me?...I would provide the tracking details (if delivered) to the buyer & then sit back & wait for their next move.

Buyers are under no obligation to "accept some responsibilty"...all that is required of them is a pulse,payment to & be aware of the MBG.

I never track an item that I have purchased or look at notifications...I just sit back & wait for the item to arrive...tracking is after all for the protection of the seller.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply