Ebay putting a ban on Internal Batteries e.g. for iPhone

tech_au2019
Community Member

Just spoke to ebay as i was unable to edit my listings for batteries mainly fo iphone etc. They stated that they are releasing new policy which bans sale of any internal batteries mainly for consumer protection.

Has anyone else experienced the same.

Extrernal batteries are still allowed though.

WOuld this mean other markeplaces sales will pick up for such items?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The last listing for a replacement battery for my S7 Galaxy was 9 november, so yes it looks like the ban is in place.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=samsung+galaxy+replacement+S7+b...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

What are external batteries? I thought that all batteries have to go into something lol

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Some items cannot have the batteries removed by the consumer and as such are built in , so internal. Other items the consumer can remove the battery so external. So my guess is they do not want consumers intalling batteries that are meant to be done by a professional. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Ok gotcha,removable batteries are known as external thanks,my brains so old it should be extinct haha.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Someone most likely spent a few weeks in an office deciding there needs to be different term used for batteries so as to confuse people born when tvs showed pictures in black and white.

Life was much simpler when remote control tv's still had a cable attached to the remote.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

We never had a remote. Even on our colour TV.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

We never had a remote on any of our TV's either. Our first Betacam VCR had a corded remote..........which was only about 3 feet long, so you still had to get up anyway!

As for the OP, my guess is someone has bought a cheap and nasty battery from China Darwin, tried to install it themselves and have blown their house and kids up. EBay trying to save people from themselves.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Neither did we but our granparents had all the latest gadgets. The only issue was when the remote would fly out of your hand due to some careless person not wathcing where they walked.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply