Ebay refunded $1800 from my paypal. Now buyer has item plus money.

Can someone help me with this please? Do I need to take ebay/paypal to court? The resolution centre keeps spitting me back out.

I sold an item on ebay. Guy paid $1800 via paypal. Later he decides he wishes he didn't spend so much and makes up some bs about it not being as described but it absolutely was. Ebay decides to refund him without talking to me. Ebay takes the money out of my paypal account and pays him. Buyer now has the item AND the money. Meanwhile paypal has sent a collection agency after me for the $1800 (not to mention the $200+ seller fees to ebay and $50 odd I am out to paypal). The collection agency says dispute it with paypal so I've been messaging them for months now. THey say not their problem I need to get a refund from ebay but ebay won't answer my emails either. Help!!

THank you

Danica Joysdottir

THis is the item:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233032236681?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Did you respond to the original case?

At which time you should have agreed to accept the return and pay the return postage.

I suspect you didn't and let the case time out. According to eBay's rules, at that time the buyer gets their money back and gets to keep the item.

You can possibly try it out in court, but I don't hold much hope for a less costly resolution.

It is always a good idea to keep current with eBay's policies. Ignoring them, as you have found, is not particularly productive. And expensive.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Actually, this is one time where I think you could make a case for yourself at Magistrates court (Australias equivelent of small claims and all states have a small claims division). But you would have to try and get your money back from the buyer, not Paypal, and take the buyer to court. It will cost a small amount to bring your case but that is added to the claim from the defendant.

You would have to try and get your money back from the buyer before applying to court and then if the buyer refuses you can go ahead.

Latest reply

If the buyer is in the same city I would go to the house demanding my watch back.

image host
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Wow, that is a lot of money to lose !

Re the following in your post:

"Later he decides he wishes he didn't spend so much"

Did he put this in any correspondence between the two of you, because if he did you have him on toast as that is a case of buyers remorse for which neither E-Bay or Pay Pal should have given his money back ....

I also don't understand why he was not made the send the watch back to you if he was so unhappy with it....

Pay Pal usually "freezes" the amount in question first until it has been proven the buyer has sent the item back or some sort of  decision has been made, so I'm not quite sure why that didn't happen in this case ???

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

A terrible situation !!

The watch was sold on 11 December, 2018 (by auction) so this has been going on and dragging on for nearly five/six months now !

I bet the buyer is really happy with his free watch; the seller on the other hand has been sent from pillar to post and has a collection agency on their back !

Regardless how the (supposedly fair) E-Bay/ Pay Pal system works; there should be a lot more checks in place to avoid these type of situations from occurring !

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Surely the OP must have some bikie friends that could help?

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

there's a good chance ebay have enabled 'automatic returns' on your account...you will need to check this and untick the box, it can be found under site preferences in My Ebay Selling...

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply