Ebayer says after two weeks I sent a handbag which was discoloured on one side and very noticeable,

I sold a very nice soft leather handbag to an eBayer which was in perfect condition and received a positive feed back not long after they received the bag. Now two weeks later they emailed me saying the bag is totally discoloured on one side which is noticeable and want to return it. The bag was immaculate when I sent it to them and my photos of the bag do not show any marks or discolouration and there were several pictures taken at all angles of the bag. Which would have shown up in the pictures. I am disputing that they would not have seen these so called marks when they received the bag and believe they are trying to do a scam.

Please advise me what to do as I am an honest ebayer and this has never happened to me before. i cannot accept that my bag was anything other than perfect when it left my hands. Regards Frances

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebayer says after two weeks I sent a handbag which was discoloured on one side and very noticeable,

Before you start accusing a customer of scamming you put your thinking hat on.

What would be the point of the buyer complaining it had discoloured if it hadn't?

They must know that in order to get a refund they will have to go to the expense of sending it back by trackable post, why would they do this if it had not become discoloured?

Have you asked for and received a photo of the condition of the bag now?

If so are they marks that could have been developed over a couple of weeks use or are they obviously signs of misuse?

If there is the slighteat chance that it is the former then you should ask for it to be returned, tell them you will get it checked out and if the marks are a manufacturing fault you will refund in full but if it turns out to be something that has happened while it has been used by the buyer you will refund item cost only or will resend it on receipt of the cost of postage.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

firstly ask them for photos of the item]

could you have used something in the packing (dark tissue for example} that may have caused damage during transit?

if they put in a paypal claim, they will have to return to you by trackable means at their own expense,

so wait up after you check th photos and see it they actually go thru with the return.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Was it the lovely pink bag?  Maybe they wore the bag with dark indigo jeans and their clothes stained the bag.

Ask for a photo and if it doesn't match up to the photo that you have in a listing then tell them that they can take it to Paypal and get them to decide.  They will decide in your favour because of the buyers initial feedback.

Joono
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

They will decide in your favour because of the buyers initial feedback.

Not so, something going wrong with an item after feedback has been left is absolutely no evidence that the item is still in as described condition. It can sometmes be used as a deciding factor in an item not received dispute but more proof than that would be needed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Is it possible that she had an identical handbag which was stained and is now trying it on by claiming that the one she bought from you has somehow become discoloured? It certainly wouldn't be the first time that buyers have attempted to pull that little scam, which is why it's a very good idea to keep serial numbers or records of other identifying marks just in case.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply