Fee to pay Ebay invoice. Is this correct?

I've being charged international fees by my bank to either pay an Ebay invoice or for using the Paypal gateway. The invoices are in AUD and that is the currency I used tp pay. However I wasn't aware that when payments are made locally to Ebay using the Paypal gateway they are actually credited to an overseas account and any fees are passed on to the customer.

It seems all rather convoluted but I learnt this from my bank when I queried some odd debits. My main concern is that it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere by Ebay or Paypal though I could be mistaken and was hoping someone may be able to point me to the related section?

Ebay has rejected my email stating that I must use the Ebay contact form. However the only option they will allow is a direct chat session with an Ebay rep who as usual hung up when they realised my question was outside of their standard script. It's rather tiresome this hanging up game of theirs.

Thank you

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

It would seem your Paypal account is not registered in Australia.

Check it.

Message 2 of 44
Latest reply

Thanks for your message however I didn't use my Paypal account.

Message 3 of 44
Latest reply

If you are paying overseas sellers you will be charged currency conversion rates.

If not, you need to provide some relevant information if you wish relevant answers.

Message 4 of 44
Latest reply

If you didn't use your Payal Account then you didn't pay through the Paypal Gateway, so you must have paid with a credit card some other way. Did the selller have their own merchant credit card facilities?  If that is how you paid, and the seller is overseas, they would have processed the transaction in their currency and your bank would then charge conversion fees.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 44
Latest reply

I'm referring to the Ebay invoice, as in the invoice issued by Ebay to sellers using the services of Ebay.  

Message 6 of 44
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Paypal is a US company....some banks charge you an International fee when you pay with paypal even if the transaction is in AU$ and the buyer is in Australia.   All of the GE Money cards fall into this category and I believe some others do as well.

Message 7 of 44
Latest reply

I see.  Did you list on the AU site or the US?  If you listed on the US site you would pay fees in US currency, but if you used Paypal to pay them, Paypal do the conversion, not your bank.  If you used a credit card then of course the bank will charge international currency conversion fee.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 8 of 44
Latest reply

I'm a member of, and listed on the Australian site. The invoices are in AUD and I paid in Australia through the Paypal gateway provided by Ebay.  

Message 9 of 44
Latest reply

Is your credit card one of the GE Money cards.....if so, see my previous post.

Message 10 of 44
Latest reply