Final Sale fee on Postage is Unconscionable!

I know this has been in place for a while, but it really irks me that the greedy powers that be in ebay need to slug sellers even more, because their new policies have caused a dip in listings and subsequently sales.

Seriously, taking a fee out of the postage amount!  What the hell?

Shame ebay!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It was most likely done to curb the cheats that spoilt it for the rest of us.

Listing items for 99 cents with $500 for postage to circumvent fees.

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Kopes, that was nothing more than BS propagated by eBay in a blatant attempt to justify their greedy cash grab on the postage component of our sales. A few naive people believed it but the vast majority saw it exactly for what it was; legalised theft by Donahoe and his cohorts before he was booted over to Paypal to do the same bloody thing there.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

And I don't understand why sellers are getting so upset about it.

Any seller who is not covering their costs by increasing their prices deserves to lose money.

Once the prices are increased it is the buyer who is paying the ebay/paypal fees.  There have not been too many buyers starting threads about it.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Ebay online postage labels give 10% discount on postage for commonly used satchels and some AP boxes.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

So if sellers are increasing prices and using the ebay postage labels then they have no reason at all to complain, do they?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Those that have a legitimate gripe with fvf on postage are those that post overseas.  They need to charge postage that will cover them for eBay and PayPal protection and then they get slugged 9.9% on top of that.  They add the fee amount to their postage charge and their buyers give them low DSRs for postage because it costs so much and they cop a defect.

eBay, put a nominal cap on the fvf on postage for international postage e.g. max fee payable on international postage is $2 which means if you pay anything over about $20 your do not get charged additional fees on the postage.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Ive had my account for 15 years. Back in the day, sellers would sell something for $5, and charge $25 in postage (domestic!). Literally.

They did it to get around Ebay fees. This was the normal thing to do.

Basic maths tells you that Ebay would have gone under with this happening as frequently as it did.  They introduced postage fees to stop this from happening and create a stable business plan.

If your business plan is not going well with these fees (which in total, are average in the market - I know because up until recently, I wrote business plans and did financial analysis  and contracts for retail / tourism and corporate industries), then you need to change your business plan - that isnt Ebays fault.

If youre not really into the *selling* aspect of all this, and dont really understand business plans, or tracking everything in an excel sheet seems too much work, then Ebay may not be the place for you (often the ones who say, but im just a hobby seller!). Yes, these type of sellers will struggle. Ebay isnt geared towards these sellers. Thats why they have Gumtree. Different business plans for different dynamics. Maybe theres another marketplace out there somewhere that would suit what you do better. The biggest and boldest isnt always the right one.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@gtx305 wrote:

Ive had my account for 15 years. Back in the day, sellers would sell something for $5, and charge $25 in postage (domestic!). Literally.

They did it to get around Ebay fees. This was the normal thing to do.

And your evidence for this?

Basic maths tells you that Ebay would have gone under with this happening as frequently as it did. 

They introduced postage fees to stop this from happening and create a stable business plan.

I beg to disagree. It was a money grab by ebay pure and simple.

If your business plan is not going well with these fees (which in total, are average in the market - I know because up until recently, I wrote business plans and did financial analysis  and contracts for retail / tourism and corporate industries), then you need to change your business plan - that isnt Ebays fault.

If youre not really into the *selling* aspect of all this, and dont really understand business plans, or tracking everything in an excel sheet seems too much work, then Ebay may not be the place for you (often the ones who say, but im just a hobby seller!). Yes, these type of sellers will struggle.

This is irrelevant to paying fees on postage.

Ebay isnt geared towards these sellers. Thats why they have Gumtree. Different business plans for different dynamics. Maybe theres another marketplace out there somewhere that would suit what you do better. The biggest and boldest isnt always the right one.

Gumtree is useless. Full of tyre-kickers, people who say they will come and collect and never show up, people who offer peanuts instead of a reasonable offer

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

And I don't understand why sellers are getting so upset about it.

Any seller who is not covering their costs by increasing their prices deserves to lose money.

Once the prices are increased it is the buyer who is paying the ebay/paypal fees.  There have not been too many buyers starting threads about it.

If only it was that simple. Because if (small) sellers have to raise their prices to cover the fees, then their items are less likely to sell. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply