First chargeback Case Opened

Just had my first chargeback case from paypal opened for unauthorised payment. And the item was delivered 8 days ago so I think it is a scam. All the previous posts on this seem old on this subject, so presume after I have given paypal the tracking number I am now safe? I have also the photo of the satchel with the delivery address that I could also suppy to paypal. The item was bought 2 weeks ago. Am I safe?   

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Seller protection does not cover the unauthorised use of a credit card.  

Seller protection is actually almost exclusively for credit card chargebacks - it's for when the buyer gets a refund, but PayPal covers it themselves, and in the vast majority of cases, that happens with chargebacks.

Tracking doesn't even matter in such cases, unless you don't have a lodgement receipt of some kind (or other form of proof of lodgemnt) because then it does establish lodgement. 

All you need is proof of the delivery address, and proof the package was lodged with the carrier and a seller will meet the requirements for PayPal seller protection (delivery, SOD etc is irrelevant, unless the value was $750 or more, then SOD is required, but still not proof of delivery).

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I had my first Chargeback about 8 weeks ago. Buyer claimed her CC was stolen and the bank automatically raised the Chargeback (BS, I actually contacted her bank and the cardholder must raise the Chargeback!) she confirmed via email she had received the item, however because the Chargeback was initiated 2 months after she received it, the tracking was no longer showing, which is what PayPal rely on.  Buyer also claimed she asked the bank to cancel the Chargeback but they"told her they couldn't because it was already under investigation" (more BS, as the bank told me all she needs to do is request to cancel it). Think this buyer was trying it on, got caught out and fed lots of lies!

I contacted Aus Post via Messenger ( you get quick responses) and provided them with the tracking number and asked for confirmation in writing to my email addres, this way I could forward the confirmation to PayPal, which I did. They provided the name, address time of delivery. I also copied her feedback and sent all correspondence from her to PayPal.

Its a long waiting process but eventually Paypal released the funds back to me.

Contact your buyer and asked why the Chargeback? If you get a response saying they received the item you can forward that to PayPal.

Because you have the tracking number you are covered under Paypal's Chargeback rules as long as the tracking is still visible. I would still contact Aus Post of delivery confirmation. 

I had an email from PayPal advising that you can opt in for "No Holds" on payments including any disputed transactions, which is a good thing! 

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Here is the link for Paypal's "Funds Now" which means your money is released even with disputed transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp/article/what-is-funds-now-and-how-does-it-work-faq3924

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for the info. Sent them a friendly email asking them why, and if they have received the earrings yet. All strange as they did ask a question when they bought them. Will now contact aust post

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

in addition to what "justkidzbiz" has said.. i too had my first chargeback about 6 months ago and had had extensive back-and-forth messages with the buyer, along with them thanking me for their item once it had arrived. though, the chargeback was initiated some time later, but i was still covered under paypal's seller protection - because if their bank makes the decision it is unauthorised, paypal still have to pay the funds back to the bank. 

a tip in regards to tracking (since it expires) is to get the australia post mypost app on your phone, or use mypost online and you'll see that every tracking number you add to it, there's an "email updates" box when you go into that tracking number. tick this box for every delivery and you'll get an email from aus post saying "your item has been delivered" and it has the postcode, state and tracking number. i started doing this ever since i found out that tracking numbers now have a short lifespan - and i save each email should any issues ever arise :] hope this helps! 

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Not even close to being safe ๐Ÿ˜ž If the buyer claims it was an unauthorised credit card transaction, your goose is cooked.

Even proving delivery and signature being available (Aust post), once they say they did not place the order you lose the chargeback case from the bank and you get to kiss your goods goodbye.

Sadly, this has happened to me twice. The first time the scumbag i spoke to on the phone that bought and paid for it even thanked me when i contacted him to discuss the chargeback. But being a few thousands klm's away he knows i can't do anything about it and the Police wont chase up anything that is only worth a hundred dollars or so.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

oh nooo. I always thought paypa had seller protection. Anyway will see how it goes and keep everyone informed thanks

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Seller protection does not cover the unauthorised use of a credit card.   It matters not a jot whether the buyer has received it, left feedback, patted you on the back or any other admission of receipt.  If said buyer says they did not authorise the transaction your goose is cooked.

Your best bet is to contact the buyer and ask why the chargeback.  If you can get them to admit it was just because they could then you might stand a chance of getting paypal to pay it for you.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Seller protection does not cover the unauthorised use of a credit card.  

Seller protection is actually almost exclusively for credit card chargebacks - it's for when the buyer gets a refund, but PayPal covers it themselves, and in the vast majority of cases, that happens with chargebacks.

Tracking doesn't even matter in such cases, unless you don't have a lodgement receipt of some kind (or other form of proof of lodgemnt) because then it does establish lodgement. 

All you need is proof of the delivery address, and proof the package was lodged with the carrier and a seller will meet the requirements for PayPal seller protection (delivery, SOD etc is irrelevant, unless the value was $750 or more, then SOD is required, but still not proof of delivery).

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Great point, I didn't know that. Will add that one! I also now also save a copy of the shipping label and package which has the buyer's address details as additional proof in case I ever cop a Chargeback again just to save all the bs you have to go through!

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply