First time seller asking what "Ref:" is when printing the label and delivery cost

Hi, I recently sold my first item on eBay via an auction.

I am a bit confused as to what under the label you print out the "Ref:" is. In my case it is blank.

Am I supposed to fill it in by obtaining the reference number from somewhere?

And I went with Express post even though the buyer paid for normal delivery. The reason is I wanted it from the start and put it in my description but noticed afterward that I could change the method of delivery. Anyway, the label says that postage is paid top right. Does this mean that the extra cost I will have to pay at a later time or does it come from the sale cost?

Thank you for your answers!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

First time seller asking what "Ref:" is when printing the label and delivery cost

Just leave the "Ref:" field blank if you have no need for it.  I've never put anything there.

The postage charge will be added to your monthly eBay bill, it's not deducted from the proceeds of the sale.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

The reference field is optional and you can leave it blank or fill it with something like the order number if it will help you or the buyer in some way (I doubt many buyers really look at the postage labels that much, though) - I occasionally use it for things like if I'm sending more than one package for the same order, to help me match the right items to the postage label and upload the correct number to eBay for each item. 

If you created the label on eBay, the postage costs are charged to your account and will become due when the next invoice is issued; if you take the package with the label attached to a post office, they will just scan it in and give you a lodgement receipt, so nothing more to pay at the post office or anything like that.

Edit: time for bed - typed that waay too slow. Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

How do I change the Ref field on the postage label? You used to be able amend it - which I would do to put my own code in there to match it to the item visually on packaging.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Leave it blank. It's irrelevant. Who cares what's on the label apart from the address of the recipient?

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply