Foreign Transaction Fee on Ebay Monthly Payment

For the first time I have been hot with a foreign transaction fee on my monthly ebay payment.

I checked back through my payments and this has never happened before.

I use a Westpac Mastercard to pay ebay fees.  Although I use my Paypal balance also and I notice that the charge is in Australian dollars so no foreign fee should apply.

Called Westpac, they claim that ebay has changed their banking.

However, when I look back through my invoices, nothing seems to have changed.

Is this just Westpac being difficuly or has anyone else been charged this fee?

I don't see how a foreign fee could apply if it is in Australian dollars???

Anyone have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought ebay's bank was 'always' OS.

A forex fee out of the blue is creepy.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Ring them!!
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Their bank has not changed.  Not in the 10 years I have been dealing with them.

Has anyone else been charged a forex fee this month?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

If you pay your ebay fees and they come out of PayPal then the name has changed to eBay Marketplaces GmbH

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

No forex on my accounts but they are all paid via PayPal balance.

Maybe the Mastercard use is the culprit.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

It is a problem eBay have admitted to.

A charge for foreign payment.

I will see if I can find the other thread on this - 

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Sellers-Check-your-banking-institution-for-International-Fe...

image host
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

You can see what you owe on the Seller Hub Overview page.

Just make sure you have that amount in your PayPal account before the due date and you will avoid these additional fees.

I simply do not understand why you are being charged extra if you are using PayPal as the invoice payment method.

PayPal is an Australian entity so transfers to them from your Australian Bank should not attract additional charges.

Has anyone been charged Forex fees on an eBay purchase paid thru PayPal where part or all of the funds were drawn from your bank account?

Has anyone received an explanation from eBay as to why this is happening?

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I am having this same issue since June 2018... Ebay fees paid via Paypal, sourced from a credit card. Never in 10 years have i had foreign transaction fees, but now i do. Something is wrong.
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@pointblankauto wrote:
I am having this same issue since June 2018... Ebay fees paid via Paypal, sourced from a credit card. Never in 10 years have i had foreign transaction fees, but now i do. Something is wrong.

Yes, there is obviously a problem since eBay changed their billing entity on 1st June.

The thing is, both the new and old entities are based in Switzerland (I asume for tax reasons).

There should have been no change at all in fee structures.

Take my advice given above and make sure you have enough funds in your PP account to cover your bill before the due date and you WILL avoid these fees.

I always work this way and am not being charged so it should work for you.

I have no explanation as to why a transfer to PayPal Australia from your Australian bank account or credit card should attract Foreign Exchange fees as the PayPal we deal with is definitely an Australian company.

What it does with the funds after it receives them is up to them and NOT your bank.

Perhaps you need to complain to PayPal and ask for a refund of the Forex fees you paid as it's likely a change they've made to the way they describe the payment to your bank is the root cause.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply