Freebay Scammers - To Register Or Not To Register?

I guess this might be a very old question for these forums.

The dreaded "I Haven't Received My Item Yet" emails appear to have been replaced by by Ebay's ruthless new 'get a refund now' system.

It's like getting a refund has now become part of the actual process of the Ebay experience, rather than something that happens occasionally.

1. Buy the item.

2. Receive the item.

3. Get a refund.

We are thinking of Registering everything which will add 3.50 to each order ...

We have taken the risk for a long time now, in order to keep our postage costs as low as we can for our buyers. In fact, I love combining postage, weighing everything and always get a kick out of saving money on postage as both a seller and a buyer.

At least by Registering everything, we will keep our bulk buyers and the $1.25 scammers and DEFECTORS won't be as likely to either want the tracking, ... or want to spend the extra on a tracking number.  Cause 1.25 items that fit through the letterslot items under 50 gram will then cost  1.40 post, 60 envelope/ box and 3.50 Reg. plus Ebay fees ... So,  6.00?!   Hmmm ...

I'm tired of being held responsible for Australia Post, USPS, Royal Mail not to mention when the buyer has stuff stolen out of their letter box etc ... Some buyers will still leave Neg, if Australia Post take too long to deliver, but at least the stress of chasing everything up on a daily basis ... usually caused by buyers being impatient, will no longer be there.

Higher postage price means less sales ... But I think I'm going to start going for quality over quantity, due to the stress/ time factor and Ebay basically inviting and welcoming seriel shoplifters into its world with open arms ...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

As a buyer I have paid well over the odds to register every eBay purchase from here and overseas for years. I find that cuts down on missing parcels from the odd one here and there to next to nil.

I was taking the responsibility for that charge, and yes, I try to always pay with Paypal so knew I was covered. But for some reason, registering everything meant a more reliable delivery...so sometimes, it is not the buyer but the shippers/couriers at fault.

So registering might be a good idea if you think that AP might be contributing to your losses, as well as keeping the odd buyer honest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

How many issues are you getting? We dont seem to have noticed any increase so far. Did have 2 on 2nd November (!) of which one we won as item was tracked and the buyer was basically a complete lieing scumbag and the other one the envelope arrived back today as buyer had put wrong address on it and we stamp all items with a return address so have refunded that one ( i think we still get a defect??!!)  and nothing since.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Yes, and it is still a small percentage that are dishonest. Most are fine. 🙂
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I follow a rule, if I think I am willing to lose the item (ie; buyer want's to claim they didn't recieve it) I will send

unregistered, usually if the cost of the item is under $40. But if the item is over $40 I usually register it, and I also

tend to register it if I note the address is  unit, especially if it's in a large complex. 

So I try to make a judgement before I send.  This has been working well. 

So much so, that a few I only charged standard postage, I went and registered them for the above reasons, and

then I get an email saying not rec'd yet. I send a email back, you got it!! I have the tracking, You got it 3 weeks ago..... 

then silence.... 

Crooks are dumb too, because can't they see that the parcel was paid for at the post office for $7.20 with the sticker on the front,

and it has tracking??  

I charge a little extra for standard postage, and then average out, over all the parcels it evens out, so that when

I decide to charge $7.20, the little extra on the other standards will help to cover it.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply