Get ready for 1 star postage stars if you post as "letters"

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

All over the world has levels of postage rates, 1st class 2nd class etc, so I guess Oz post is just catching up on the rest of the world - wish they wouldn't though, especially with mail lol

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I think Aust Post is losing lots of $$$ by having to deliver mail that comes into the coumtry from overseas. That postage is paid in the country of origin but Aust Post gets nothing and they still have to deliver it. These days there must be a very large qty of mail coming in from China especially. Wouldn't surprise me nowadays if there is more international incoming mail than internal mail.

Anyway, AP are continually looking for ways to make the internal Australian users make up the difference by way of cost increases.

My suggested solution .....

When a seller in China (say) sends mail to Australia they not only pay for their normal in-country cost but they have to place (say) 2x Aussie stamps on the envelope/package as well. This should help offset the internal AP delivery costs here. If a package turns up without Aussie stamps on it then the local recipient is billed/feed in the same way as happens now if an article has no/under postage on it. The buyer could then complain to the seller about postage.

Where do they get the Aussie stamps in China? Well surely some arrangements could be made with China Post (or other countries) to hold stocks at the local PO's. Or other avenue to source them. Like thru the ebay Aust Post Store.

Of course this would drive up the cost of Cheap Chinese stuff. But ho-hum!

Probably slow down sales a bit from overseas too. Again ho-hum!

Does such an idea have merit? Any other thoughts or suggested changes to this one?

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

I think that all countries are bound by an International agreement to deliver each other's mail without further charges.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

AP do get paid for delivering mail from China, though it works out to be a small percentage of actual costs AFAIK. Basically, the bigger difference there is in the volume of mail being sent / delievered between two countries, the more is paid to the country which is receiving the higher volume (and I'm guessing the mail sent here from China is significantly more than the mail that's sent from here to there).

They put forward an idea like this a while ago - basically, they were saying mail deliveries 3 days a week, or pay something like $60 a year for 5-day deliveries. I'd be interested to know if they'd stop putting mail / collection cards in my PO box on some days if I did't pay the extra $60 under that plan. Smiley LOL

AP are always claiming they lose $x amount by delivering international mail, but those figures have never been given any context or backed up by anything. I actually thought it was interesting a year or so ago when they increased the prices of domestic services - people went crazy, even more so than the reaction to eBay's new fees, there was people contacting MPs, a petition (which had over 10k signatures in the end) all protesting against APs greed... Then Ahmed comes out in an interview and says "It's not our fault, it's your fault for ordering overseas all the time", and suddenly everyone was trying to see what they could do to change the agreement and get AP more money...

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Indeed they are bound but that treaty was signed in 1874 when post was still "letters" and there was no sign of e commerce.

Post as it was then was Pops writing to his grandson in another country.

The world has changed and the treaty is in need of updating.  

Australia Post is buckling under the pressure of delivering mail from China and it's a one way stream.   As a result, AusPost is increasing their (our) fees to make up for the loss.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Are buyers meant to rate sellers on the time it takes the seller to post the item once it has been paid for rather than the time it takes AP to deliver it?

This is from current seller standards, which may be different in the August changes.

"To help protect your seller standing, we'll automatically remove low detailed seller ratings for Postage time and ensure they don't impact your overall seller standard if you offer same business day or one business day handling and upload valid postage tracking information within one business day of receiving cleared payment."

I saw an item for sale here yesterday where the seller posts only once every 10 days and charges $22 post for a small boxed jigsaw puzzle, weighing under 500gms. (I have one the same, know its size & weight). New standards - timely posting and reasonable postage costs not met there.
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Most chinese sellers distribute thru 3rd part agents where they can post to their own companies and distribute it themselves or post it from there. It can be even cheaper than Australia Post all together because they have their own planes and **bleep** to make shipping extremely cheap.

We really only have Australia Post.. thats about it...

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

As I've said often, Aust post needs to charge for international parcels. Let them open 7days and longer hours if need be, but pay a cost according to the size of the parcel, just like when we post within Australia.

It's the only user pays system that will work, but there must be longer hoursto  accommodate working people.

They could also have internet payments so the parcel is delivered as usual.

It's the 21st century after all.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

As you've probably been replied to often - they can't.

Look up 'Universal Postage Union' or 'Universal Postage Obligation'

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply