Good quality used clothing seems to ne very hard to sell

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What is the question?

There are many categories which are oversaturated, clothing being one of them.

However, I know of someone who does really well selling second hand clothing. She spends a LOT of time on her store though, for example - constantly relisting after 30 days through the "Sell Similar" feature so that items get a new number each time and attract more views for being "new". 

Great photography and a mannequin often helps.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I am not sure how you will be able to send for the postage prices you have

ie $3 postage for the puffer vest ?

Maybe some buyers are put off buy that as they might  think they will be hit up for the rest of the postage by Australia Post

You'll be losing money rather than making any

Plus the fees as well

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Some labels/ items sell quite quickly but most take time, 3-4 months average I find. This week I sold a vest that had been on the site for almost two years.

I started with auctions but most items don't attract enough attention unless they are designer label. Now I use fixed price with best offer and just wait for the right customer to come along. I've tried discounting postage but it doesn't make much difference so now I just pass on the full cost.

Your descriptions are great (I should get you to write mine!). Photos are key,  find yourself a spot with a neutral background and good natural light. Photograph every detail including labels and any defects

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Used clothing is an absolutely saturated market on ebay. You don't necessarily need to be cheaper than others, you just need to be better. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I'm a buyer but many moons ago sold second hand clothing, along with a lot of other things.

Our experience was that only good labels generated much interest and even then, it wasn't always easy.

High heeled shoes were more of a goer, which always surprised me.

I used also to buy second hand occasionally but must admit, haven't looked in years, except in the children's clothing category. If you can get kid's good label clothes, they may sell more readily, I am not sure.

As others have said, photos are key and having a mannequin might help.

I had a quick look at your items and have to say they are reasonably priced, cheap postage but I can't see how you would be making much profit.

I think the main problem you are facing is that most brands have their own websites and their own sales these days and they have the models and photos to make the stuff look tempting. And some of the sale prices are real bargains. So I'd say you're up against it.

Maybe try also listing on other sites such as marketplace for local pick up and see how you go.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply