Handbags

Some help please. What is the best way to post handbags in a satchel? All tips appreciated. Many thanks. Patricia.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Handbags

I've sold a lot of bags over the years ... my friends call me the bag lady.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the issue of whether to fold or not.  I try to avoid it if possible.  Almost all bags, with the exception of overnight bags and larger backpacks / totes, will fit in a 5kg satchel.  It costs a few dollars more than a 3kg satchel but worth it not to risk creasing the bag.

Sometimes it is unavoidable.  Then I try to fold on the seams, particularly on the base.  If I do fold, I use a few sheets of tissue paper in the folded section.  I also wrap the whole bag in tissue paper then bubble wrap.  This works better with some materials.  The squishier and more textured the bag, the better the outcome.  I would definitely avoid this with patent, smoother or very structured bags.

Obviously if the bag is fabric there should not be any problems as I have washed and ironed creased fabric bags.

I sell mainly leather bags.  I would be extremely wary of folding PVC / Faux Leather bags as even in the best of circumstances this material can crumble and flake.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Handbags

bubble wrap?
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

If it is an expensive handbag, I would be looking for a box that the bag fitted in comfortably but still wrapping well in bubble wrap.  A satchel doesn't give much protection.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

I've posted (and received) handbags in a satchel before, sometimes with no bubblewrap, but it all depends on the size, shape, fabric and cost.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

If it's the bags you currently have listed, I'd just wrap in some tissue paper if you have any handy as can't see any possible way they'd be damaged in a satchel. JMO

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

Or in a Korjo bag before putting in the satchel 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

I've sold a lot of bags over the years ... my friends call me the bag lady.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the issue of whether to fold or not.  I try to avoid it if possible.  Almost all bags, with the exception of overnight bags and larger backpacks / totes, will fit in a 5kg satchel.  It costs a few dollars more than a 3kg satchel but worth it not to risk creasing the bag.

Sometimes it is unavoidable.  Then I try to fold on the seams, particularly on the base.  If I do fold, I use a few sheets of tissue paper in the folded section.  I also wrap the whole bag in tissue paper then bubble wrap.  This works better with some materials.  The squishier and more textured the bag, the better the outcome.  I would definitely avoid this with patent, smoother or very structured bags.

Obviously if the bag is fabric there should not be any problems as I have washed and ironed creased fabric bags.

I sell mainly leather bags.  I would be extremely wary of folding PVC / Faux Leather bags as even in the best of circumstances this material can crumble and flake.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

Ooh yes! One bag I sold a while back I thought would fit in a 3kg satchel but no. I attempted to start to fold it but then noticed it looked like it could potentially crack! So no. 5kg satchel.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

I think you are 100% right.

I've never bought a bag online but i can imagine that if i did receive one that had a big horizontal fold mark across the middle that did not disappear after being taken out of the satchel, I would be extremely peeved. In fact, I think if the fold mark was bad enough, it could lead some buyers to claim not as described, citing damage.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Handbags

Thank you to all for your input.The bags I have in mind are leather and quite large.The way to go is boxes, as I would not wish to crease them. Thank you all for your thoughts and advice, much appreciated. Patricia.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply