Has the timeframe for lodging INR cases changed?

Everywhere I look, it says 30 days from the last date of estimated delivery, but one of my buyers just lodged a case today, and the order date was 13 JANUARY! The estimated delivery date would have been around 18 January. Today is 14 MARCH.

Are they able to lodge this almost 2 months later? I had no idea it was never received as they didn't contact me until now. I checked and the tracking says it has not yet been delivered. UGH! I don't mind refunding of course, but am curious as to whether the 30 day limit still exists?
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
Everywhere I look, it says 30 days from the last date of estimated delivery, but one of my buyers just lodged a case today, and the order date was 13 JANUARY! The estimated delivery date would have been around 18 January. Today is 14 MARCH.

An eBay rep told me there is no limit on actually opening the case, only a limit on eligibility for a [forced] refund. (I can only assume this applies when there isn't a "delivered" tracking status on the order, as many buyers have stated they are prevented from opening an INR when that happens.)

I found this out when two different buyers recently opened cases months after ordering and the ETA - I never replied to either case, I immediately contacted live chat, explained it was much more than 30 days after the ETA, and in both cases the requests were closed without refund to the buyer (no defect or anything like that on my account, either). The first one took like 2 minutes online with chat, the second one took half an hour because the rep I was put in touch with wasn't in the right department - they were the ones that told me about there being no time limit, but they kept trying to get me to refund to close the case. When I told them the last rep I spoke to in an identical case closed the case with no refund, they finally replied "we don't have the authority to close cases in this department" and asked if I wanted to be transferred to the MBG & requests department - once I'd been transferred, it took less than a minute to get the resolution I was looking for.

The first time it happened, I actually just asked how it was possible for the case to even be opened, and the rep's immediate reply was "oh, we can just close that for you - you don't need to do anything else", so I was just like "ok, sounds cool". The second time, I was specifically looking for that result because the purchase was 4 months old and everything about the message the buyer wrote in the request was both sus and offensive. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

In PayPal yes and they get 180 days

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I agree but only if you are on managed payments - it says 30 days but I don't know what you do if they are out of time Smiley Sad

If you weren't on MP at the time and they paid by paypal, it is 180 days

Latest:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:

An eBay rep told me there is no limit on actually opening the case, only a limit on eligibility for a [forced] refund. (I can only assume this applies when there isn't a "delivered" tracking status on the order, as many buyers have stated they are prevented from opening an INR when that happens.)

I found this out when two different buyers recently opened cases months after ordering and the ETA - I never replied to either case, I immediately contacted live chat, explained it was much more than 30 days after the ETA, and in both cases the requests were closed without refund to the buyer (no defect or anything like that on my account, either). The first one took like 2 minutes online with chat, the second one took half an hour because the rep I was put in touch with wasn't in the right department - they were the ones that told me about there being no time limit, but they kept trying to get me to refund to close the case. When I told them the last rep I spoke to in an identical case closed the case with no refund, they finally replied "we don't have the authority to close cases in this department" and asked if I wanted to be transferred to the MBG & requests department - once I'd been transferred, it took less than a minute to get the resolution I was looking for.

The first time it happened, I actually just asked how it was possible for the case to even be opened, and the rep's immediate reply was "oh, we can just close that for you - you don't need to do anything else", so I was just like "ok, sounds cool". The second time, I was specifically looking for that result because the purchase was 4 months old and everything about the message the buyer wrote in the request was both sus and offensive. 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you so much for all your help everyone! I think this buyer is genuine and possibly just forgot about the order, and the tracking is valid but never went past the "sent" point. I'm just puzzled that the case was able to be opened and will chat with an ebay rep about it.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

For years I've had cases in the past opened up 5 months later, But as digi said they were closed without refund. Obviously buyers wanting a free item. Apparently depends on the item category, and if they are using the mobile app, they can go back further.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply