How big is the Red Street Posting Box - Auspost?

I have a box that is L:21cm W:11cm H:11cm

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

from the australia post site:

MAXIMUM SIZE FOR A RED AUST POST MAILBOX

37.5 X 25 X 8  cm

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I think your parcel may be 1cm to tall. 

I can usually get 10cm height if the box is not to wide.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Putting your parcel in a street mail box means no scan on lodgement.

That can sometimes mean a wait of several days before it scans anywhere.

If possible, it's always preferable to lodge a parcel over the counter at a post office.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Agree....

Placing tracked parcels into a red Street Post Box (SPB) is risky.

They rarely get a scan event until it is delivered.

If it gets lost before any scan events are recorded then you have no proof it is even in the Aust Post delivery system.

So I agree its safer to lodge over the counter and get a lodgement scan event. At least you have proof you sent it.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

is this still true to this day? I just made a return and am worried that the tracking will not scan and the return will be closed.. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, it is. Without the scan on lodgement, there is no proof you posted the article.

That's a fact.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Any tracking event is required - not just on lodgement.   Although the following is about sending an item, not a return, I am sure it will apply.

If you use a tracked postage service, reliably upload valid tracking and use an eBay-integrated carrier for your eBay orders:

• Your listings will be eligible for shorter Estimated Delivery Dates which will improve listing conversion
  • After the item has been sent, if there is at least one valid tracking event, we’ll protect you by:
    • Resolving any ‘Item not received’ requests 
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

Agree....

Placing tracked parcels into a red Street Post Box (SPB) is risky.

They rarely get a scan event until it is delivered.

If it gets lost before any scan events are recorded then you have no proof it is even in the Aust Post delivery system.

So I agree its safer to lodge over the counter and get a lodgement scan event. At least you have proof you sent it.

There may be another risk using the red street box,  I've noticed an official sticker on one local red post box "this box is subject to regular security checks" , a bit alarming, assuming this is due to there having been an issue with mail put in that box. At least it wasn't blown up, which is another possible but rare risk.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Sometimes I have been waiting for items posted in a red mailbox. The tracking usually says "pending" until the item is scanned, which usually happens at major sorting centres like Sydney/Chullora, Melbourne etc., but sometimes, as others have said, the items only get scanned on the day they are on board for delivery, or even worse when they are delivered.

I hope eBay takes delays into consideration at the moment, just as they do when buyers are waiting for something, then it should be OK for you, as the item will be scanned at some stage.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply