How reliable is Aust Post Tracking

jvdv
Community Member

I have often wondered about the reliability of Australia Post's tracking service and how often the tracking of an item is updated.

For example on 29 Sept I posted two satchels at the same post box, one was to Perth and the other to Brisbane. Today when looking at the tracking information I see the parcel to Brisbane has been delivered and during the course of the week it indicates it's status along the way. When looking at the one to Perth the only information is "Shipping information received by Australia Post" which of course is the initial advice noted after printing the postage label.

At the same time I am waiting for a parcel from Brisbane - the tracking indicates that on 30 Sept the item was "Received by Australia Post" and on 1 October was updated with "Processed through Australia Post facility". Since then nothing.

It seems that Aust Post scan some parcels along the way and others they just don't bother with. Can be very frustrating.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Many (most?) items that are lodged in street post boxes are only scanned on the morning that they go out for delivery so it's not unusual to see no updates until then. East to west coast is ridiculously slow at the moment and there has been a public holiday during this period which will further slow it down (edit - 2 public holidays, the Friday in VIC and the Monday in SA). You should see an update in the next few days to a week.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

It does seem to be random process.  One item last week showed as received by my local PO twice and then no update until it was delivered 4 days later at the intended post code.

Also last week, a parcel showed as delivered to the correct post code but the buyer never got it.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I have a card to send to a friends birthday on the 15/12  in queensland   should i sent it tomorrow lol

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@transport-posters wrote:

It does seem to be random process.  One item last week showed as received by my local PO twice and then no update until it was delivered 4 days later at the intended post code.

Also last week, a parcel showed as delivered to the correct post code but the buyer never got it.

I've had thr 'delivered item that wasn't' as well...after ringing AP they chased up the delivery driver and got it to me next day. Hopr your buyer can sort it out.

As for postage times, VIC - NSW does seem to be having a bit of a slowdown atm whereas I received an item in 4 days from  lodgement from WA - and that was with a weekend in the middle. And because it was checked in over the counter, I got tracking from the start to eastcoast provessing, delivery etc.

Your mileage may certainly vary.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Very common when you drop parcels into a red street box. The only event is when you printed the label as you said.

The problem with this now is that if that parcel never gets delivered and the buyer lodges a claim for item not received (INR) you will most likely lose the case as you have no proof of postage. The only proof you have is that you printed the label. That in itself will not stand up with paypal/ebay as proof of postage.

You really need to lodge over the counter and obtain the lodgement receipt and the scan event that it was lodged at your local PO (or wherever). Then you have proof of postage when its not delivered anywhere and you will win the INR case.

Without that proof they will refund the buyer even tho you have tracking.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@hus2385 wrote:

I've had thr 'delivered item that wasn't' as well...after ringing AP they chased up the delivery driver and got it to me next day. Hopr your buyer can sort it out.

As for postage times, VIC - NSW does seem to be having a bit of a slowdown atm whereas I received an item in 4 days from  lodgement from WA - and that was with a weekend in the middle. And because it was checked in over the counter, I got tracking from the start to eastcoast provessing, delivery etc.

Your mileage may certainly vary.

That has certainly been the case and also NSW to Vic. Which is why I was so shocked this morning to receive a parcel that was posted in rural Vic very late in the afternoon on the 6th, to rural NSW. It was not posted express, just standard tracked parcel. I was expecting it to take at least a week, so was absolutely stunned when the delivery man knocked on the door this morning.

I think the issue between NSW and Vic is Chullora MC in Sydney and Sunshine West in Vic. Things regularly get stuck in those places and it's not unheard of for things to bounce between the 2 a few times before it's actually delivered. I sent one a few months ago that got stuck in Chullora for 3 days, then went to Sunshine West, then back to Chullora, then back to Sunshine, then back to Chullora, then back to Sunshine before it finally made it to Geelong. Thankfully the buyer had been checking the tracking so could see what was going on and it turning up late was not my fault.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I have found AP deliveries and their tracking are becomming more unreliable.

I sent a parcel to a Brisbane address in June - an address to which the buyer had had numerous eBay purchases sent to - but the parcel I sent never made it. The tracking info eventually said "Undelivered - Insufficient address".

So after more than a month of to and fro emails between me, the buyer, AP and eBay I lost their claim and had to refund their payment which of course was fair. On the oher hand AP accepted no responsibility despite the address being correct. Eventually the parcel was returned.

As far as delivery times go - I have just received a parcel posted from the Gold Coast on 30 September.  That's 8 days from the Gold Coast to Melbourne which I think is pretty poor given the cost of postage.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply