How to add Variations to a non-Variations GTC listing?

I might be missing the obvious but I currently have a GTC listing that I would like to add variations to (e.g. different colours) but when I'm in the "revise item" section, I can't find any Variation options.

When I try to make a new listing with the same product in the same category, the Variation option shows up but when I click "Sell Similar" (which is basically a relist), the Variation option doesn't show up.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Perhaps a variation listing is a little different in the base program and needs to be a new listing only.

Variations - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/listing-variations.html

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Perhaps a variation listing is a little different in the base program and needs to be a new listing only.

Got it in one 🙂 

Unfortunately, the listing format is basically set at the creation stage, so it's not possible to add variations to a pre-existing non-variation format, and as you've discovered, things like 'sell similar' and 'relist' copy the original (unchangeable) format, so you also can't use 'sell similar' on a variation listing but change it to a normal single-item listing. 

One thing I saw reading that link, though (which I never have before, possibly because I never list in more than one category), was this note:

Revising listings

Change categories with caution. Listings with variations aren't available in all categories. If you change the category to one that doesn't support listings with variations, all variations you previously defined are deleted. If you choose to change back to a category that does support listings with variations, you need to recreate your original variations.

I know this won't help you with your situation, but I wonder if that might be a workaround to deleting old variations that have sold, without ending and re-listing? Smiley Surprised (Just another variation format foible that bugs me, so it would be cool if it works). 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Please delete.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Got it in one 🙂 

Unfortunately, the listing format is basically set at the creation stage, so it's not possible to add variations to a pre-existing non-variation format, and as you've discovered, things like 'sell similar' and 'relist' copy the original (unchangeable) format, so you also can't use 'sell similar' on a variation listing but change it to a normal single-item listing. 

One thing I saw reading that link, though (which I never have before, possibly because I never list in more than one category), was this note:

Revising listings

Change categories with caution. Listings with variations aren't available in all categories. If you change the category to one that doesn't support listings with variations, all variations you previously defined are deleted. If you choose to change back to a category that does support listings with variations, you need to recreate your original variations.

I know this won't help you with your situation, but I wonder if that might be a workaround to deleting old variations that have sold, without ending and re-listing? Smiley Surprised (Just another variation format foible that bugs me, so it would be cool if it works). 

I just tried changing from one category to another, saved the listing, and changed back to the original category but at no point did the Variation section pop up.

Unfortunately, my GTC listing already has a bit of sales history so I'd rather not make a new one just to have variations, though it would be useful to have (to allow the buyer to choose a colour they want for example). Variations would also be useful for having some items at lower prices (e.g. because of lots of supply) and others at higher prices (e.g. because there's less of them), which is what I really want.

Anyone else want to experiment or can figure it out?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

You can't. Once a listing is created, you can't add variation to it.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply