How to get satchel to post item in

heko-6371
Community Member

I'm new to selling on eBay and want to sell my first item. Let's say if I were to list an item for the seller to pay $8.95 for postage, is that just for the label or for the satchel as well? How do I acquire the satchel to ship the item in? Does it get sent to me or do I pick it up from an auspost store when I post it? Thanks in advance and please be as specific as possible as I am really confused.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

It is entirely up to you.

You can purchase prepaid satchels from Australia Post.

You can purchase eBay satchels from Australia Post. They are $1.25 for a 5 pack; postage is on top. Depending on where the item is going eBay labels will cost you either $8.65 or $8.95.

You can go to the PO and purchase a satchel and postage for $9.20.

You can sign up to Australia Post MyBusiness. You will need to purchase satchels from AP (same price as eBay satchels). Depending on your volume, discounts can apply. From next week 8 parcels in 8 weeks will attract a discount. I doubt it will be much.

You can use your own packaging, as long as the packed weight is less than 500g, and pay $8.95.

I suggest you do some serious research before you start selling. For example, you will be paying eBay 97c in fees on $8.95 postage

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

@heko-6371 wrote:

I'm new to selling on eBay and want to sell my first item. Let's say if I were to list an item for the seller to pay $8.95 for postage, is that just for the label or for the satchel as well? How do I acquire the satchel to ship the item in? Does it get sent to me or do I pick it up from an auspost store when I post it? Thanks in advance and please be as specific as possible as I am really confused.

I don't use Ebay satchels and labels so I might leave someone else to offer advice there. I think you just buy the Ebay satchels on here, they get posted to you, you then print a label when ready and get it scanned in over the counter at the PO. 

I just buy flat rate satchels from Australia Post, all of them can take anything up to 5 kg, sml $9.20/medium 12.45/large $15.70/extra large $18.95. You can post those anywhere in Australia and the open weight limit up to 5 kg, even for the sml satchel, I find useful for non bulky heavy items. They also have tracked flat rate envelopes now sml $2.95/medium $4.95/lge $5.95. The 2 larger sizes up to 2 cm thick, the small 5 mm I think. I would advise always sending with tracking and always get them lodged over the counter and ask for a lodgement receipt. That is your proof of postage which you need. I also ask them to add the postcode for each when lodging.

Hopd this helps. Oh I forgot to mention the prices if using your own packaging (in a box or whatever) $8.95 for under 500g, then it goes up in increments, usually $12.20 or around $15 if larger and heavier. 

Here is the link for calculating postage

https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/calculate-postage-delivery-times/#/ 

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Good luck with your selling. Any more questions as you find your feet, ask away. There are some very experienced members on the boards who can help guide you

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Do you know the sizes of the tracked flat rate envelopes you mention? I cannot find this info on the AP website. (A link would be great too).

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Yes. Here it is

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-within-australia/compare-letter-services/letter-tracking 

If you scroll down to pricing, it gives the sizes and maximum thickness etc

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

I also forgot to mention when using my own packaging, I just hand print the address on plain white paper, cut to size and tape it all over on the package to prevent tearing or smudging if it gets wet. I never print anything myself. Computer ink can be expensive and I find it unnecessary for my humble sales ๐Ÿ˜

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

Yes. Here it is

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-within-australia/compare-letter-services/letter-tracking 

If you scroll down to pricing, it gives the sizes and maximum thickness etc

The link resulted in this:

404 error.jpg

So still none the wiser. Another try?

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I do the same. 

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply